What is the net torque on a square metal plate if given three forces?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 30K views
ahero4eternity
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
yg.10.45.jpg


A square metal plate 0.180 meters on each side is pivoted about an axis through point O at its center and perpendicular to the plate.

Calculate the net torque about this axis due to the three forces shown in the figure if the magnitudes of the forces are F1 = 18.0 N F2 = 27.0 N and F3 = 14.0 N. The plate and all forces are in the plane of the page.





Torque = Force x Length
Length = 1/2 x 0.180
Torque = radius x F sin theta





T1 (1.62) - T2 (2.43) - T3 (1.26) = -2.07

Shouldn't T1 be positive since it is going in the CW direction, while T2 and T3 are negative since they are going in the CCW direction? Where am I going wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ahero4eternity said:
T1 (1.62) - T2 (2.43) - T3 (1.26) = -2.07

Shouldn't T1 be positive since it is going in the CW direction, while T2 and T3 are negative since they are going in the CCW direction? Where am I going wrong?
The usual sign convention is to take CCW torques to be positive and CW torques to be negative. More important that sign convention: Recalculate the torque due to force F3.
 
Thanks. After 15 mins of struggling, I finally figured it out where I went wrong with T3. :)