What is the next step for part iii in Taylor Series Extrapolation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
ajd-brown
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hi could anyone give me pointer as to where to go with part iii please?
 
Attachments
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 573
  • Solution so far.jpg
    Solution so far.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
second order accurate means
$$\begin{cases}
A|_{h=0}=B|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{dA}{dh}\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{dB}{dh}\right|_{h=0}
\end{cases}$$
so require
$$\begin{cases}
\mathrm{f}(x+2h)|_{h=0}=a \, \mathrm{f}(x+h)+b \, \mathrm{f}(x)|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{d}{dh}\mathrm{f}(x+2h)\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{d}{dh}(a \, \mathrm{f}(x+h)+b \, \mathrm{f}(x))\right|_{h=0}
\end{cases}$$
then solve for a and b
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Hi, I don't really understand the notation you have used there with the lines, but does that basically mean that the equation holds true when differentiated once and in its original form?

so just to check my understanding, if it was supposed to be 3rd order accurate, there would be a third equation which would be the second differential of the original and this would have to be satisfied as well by the values of a and b?
 
The line means let the variable take a certain value
in this case let h=0 after taking the derivative

yes third order accurate would be
\begin{cases}
A|_{h=0}=B|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{dA}{dh}\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{dB}{dh}\right|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{d^2A}{dh^2}\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{d^2B}{dh^2}\right|_{h=0}
\end{cases}
and so on
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ok that's great thank you! I am going to attempt it now that I understand it! I'll place my answer on here afterwards, I gather you have found them then?
 
I have found a as 1 is that correct? and using that value I get b as

b=((((hdf(x)/dx + 3/2*h^2*d2f(x)/dx))))/f(x)
 
Last edited:
Remember h=0 so it should not appear. Since we are second order we should not have h^2.

Here is another equivalent approach

$$\text{if}
\\
\mathrm{f}(x+2h)=\mathrm{f}(x)+2h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)
\\
\mathrm{f}(x+h)=\mathrm{f}(x)+h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)
\\
\mathrm{f}(x+2h)=a\, \mathrm{f}(x+h)+b\, \mathrm{f}(x)
\\
\text{then}
\\
\mathrm{f}(x)+2h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)=a\left[\mathrm{f}(x)+h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)\right]+b\, \mathrm{f}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)
\\
\mathrm{f}(x)+2h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)=a\left[\mathrm{f}(x)+h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)\right]+b\, \mathrm{f}(x)$$
What do a and b need to be?
 
that makes so much more sense! as you say I included the h^2 accidentally so that must be where i went wrong, I'll try and solve it the original way again and see if I get the same answer!

From what I can see a needs to be 2 and b has to be -1