What is the next step for a 0/0 limit with l'Hospital's rule?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Asphyxiated
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Asphyxiated
Messages
263
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\lim_{u \to 1} \frac {(u-1)^{3}}{u^{-1}-u^{2}+3u-3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



So the first derivative is:

[tex]\lim_{u \to 1} \frac {3(u-1)^{2}}{-u^{-2}-2u+3}[/tex]

this limit also gives a 0/0 situation so take the derivative again:

[tex]\lim_{u \to 1} \frac{6(u-1)}{2u^{-3}-2}[/tex]

and this limit as well gives a 0/0 again, so would I do it again? or what's the next step? The book doesn't give me any instruction to this situation just to the 2nd derivative.

If I do take the derivative again it is -1, is that correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no need to use L'Hopital's rule here. Just start by multiplying both numerator and denominator by [itex]u[/itex], and then factor the denominator (you already know [itex]u=1[/itex] is a factor, so it should be easy)
 
right well its from the section in my book to learn l'hopital's rule, so that is why I am using it here.