What Is the Normal Stress in a Prismatic Bar Under Tension?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Baumer8993
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a prismatic bar (same cross sectional area throughout the entire length), the load applied to both ends is 100 N causing the member to be in tension. If the cross sectional area of the member is
5 cm2. What is the normal stress in the in kPa?


Homework Equations


stress = force / area


The Attempt at a Solution



I first tried without looking at the units, and got 20, which is wrong. I next tried converting everything to m2 to get the answer is pascals the convert to kPa. I got 200 for my second answer. What am I doing wrong? This seems like such a simple problem!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the derived units of a Pascal? Are they N/m^2 or N/cm^2?
 
They are N/m^2. I used an online converter to check, so I confused about what I did wrong.
 
Is the bar supported in the middle? If so, should the force be 100 or 200 N?
How did you get 20?