How do I calculate the factor of safety for a prismatic bar under tension?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Kazaam
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
There is a question on my home work that I just don't understand how they got the answer they did.

The first question is:
In a prismatic bar, the load applied on both ends is 37 N causing the member to be in tension. If the cross section area of the member is 5.7 cm2 and the allowable stress is 100 kPa. What is the factor of safety for the system?

I got .1.298 kpa, the answer is supposed to be 1.541 kpa, how does (37N/.057)/100 kpa= 1.541 Kpa, what am I missing here?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kazaam said:
There is a question on my home work that I just don't understand how they got the answer they did.

The first question is:
In a prismatic bar, the load applied on both ends is 37 N causing the member to be in tension. If the cross section area of the member is 5.7 cm2 and the allowable stress is 100 kPa. What is the factor of safety for the system?

I got .1.298 kpa, the answer is supposed to be 1.541 kpa, how does (37N/.057)/100 kpa= 1.541 Kpa, what am I missing here?
5.7 cm^2 = 0.00057 m^2. And then you incorrectly have written that F.S. = actual stress/allowable stress...what should that equation be??. And what are the units of the safety factor?
 
Last edited: