What is the odd inequality sign I saw in my lecture notes?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality Sign
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
spaghetti3451
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
31
I saw this rather odd symbol of the the greater sign on top of the less sign in my lecture notes. I am wondering if there is a name for this symbol and if signifies 'equal to' as well?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it any of these?

[tex]\lessgtr, \quad<br /> \gtrless,\quad<br /> \lesseqgtr,\quad<br /> \gtreqless,\quad<br /> \lesseqqgtr,\quad<br /> \gtreqqless[/tex]
 
Dr. Seafood said:
Is it any of these?

[tex]\lessgtr, \quad<br /> \gtrless,\quad<br /> \lesseqgtr,\quad<br /> \gtreqless,\quad<br /> \lesseqqgtr,\quad<br /> \gtreqqless[/tex]

I'd say it'd probably be the second one.
 
It's an abbreviation of < or >, the alternatives being explained or elaborated on nearby.

You could write: a≶b≶c, which means that either a<b<c or a>b>c.
Or you could write something like: |x|=±x if x≷0.
The upper level is one case, the lower level is the other case.

It is rarely used. Different cases are usually put on different lines with braced conditions.