What is the opposite of Dense?

• Thread starter Nanako
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the two meanings of the word "dense" - one referring to frequency and the other referring to the mass to volume relationship of objects. The opposite of "dense" in terms of frequency is "sparse" while there seems to be no concise word to describe the opposite of "dense" in terms of mass and volume. Suggestions such as "less dense" or "not dense" are considered a cop out. Some alternatives mentioned are "tenuous" and "rarefied". The conversation also touches on the parallel between the words "massive" and "energy" and how to construct sentences appropriately using mathematical terms.
Nanako
Hi everyone. This is technically more of a question of language and etymology, but i figured here mightbe a good place to ask since the words in question concern physical properties of an object.

As far as I'm aware, the word Dense has two meanings:

One referring to frequency, eg a densely packed population (living in apartment blocks). The opposite of this is Sparse, i think. A sparse population being rural.

The other definition of Dense is, i think, the expression of the mass to volume relationship of objects. Iron has a much higher density than water, for instance. And a cube of iron will have a higher mass than an equivilantly sized cbe of water.

But when it comes to this second definition, i don't know any word to concisely describe the opposite. Sparse doesn't seem appropriate for solid objects or substances. The best I've come up with so far is "less dense" or "not dense" which seems like a cop out.

any thoughts ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hear the terms 'Tenuous' and 'Rarefied', particularly when it comes to gasses.

Sparse, rarefied... depends on the context I suppose.

There need not be a problem with this once you actually quote a value for the Density. There is a parallel with the words Massive and Energy. The best way to deal with this is to construct your sentences appropriately. That's the great thing about Maths.

What is the opposite of Dense?

The opposite of dense is sparse. This means that something is thinly dispersed or scattered.

What does it mean for something to be dense?

When something is dense, it means that it is closely packed together or has a high concentration of particles or matter.

Is density the same as thickness?

No, density and thickness are not the same. Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume, while thickness is a measure of how thick or thin something is.

Can density be measured or calculated?

Yes, density can be measured or calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The units for density are typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³).

What are some examples of dense materials?

Examples of dense materials include metals such as gold, iron, and lead, as well as substances like diamond, granite, and concrete. These materials have a high density due to their tightly packed atoms or molecules.