1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the order of study between these 3

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    theory of computation
    data structures
    algorithms
    ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I would think its data structures and algorithms at the same time and then theory of computation but thatss just my opinion.

You could look at your course catalog and see the numbering used as lower numbers mean take the course sooner or the courses may have prerequisites that may indicate the actual best order.

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    I'm not in school, trying to learn this on my own.

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

6. Mar 4, 2015 #5
    thanks, I also have a compiler design book.:biggrin:

7. Mar 4, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

I actually liked these courses and over the course of my career have often constructed domain specific languages supported by data structures and algorithms internally to make things work better. I'm not a big fan of gui design because it sometimes gets in the way of program automation via scripts.

8. Mar 4, 2015 #7
    yea sometimes the unix shell is better, or now powershell in windows.

9. Mar 4, 2015 #8

jedishrfu

If you're into novel languages too, you might like to check out groovy. It's a scripting language superset of Java having many features you wished Java had. Some programmers have used it to create domain specific languages, ie languages for a particular use like for a pharmacist where they could add ounces to milliters and get liters ie it does the conversions automagically thru clever Groovy programming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook