1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the output of a photodiodes?

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    what is the output current from a photodiode like (in mA, uA, or....)?
    what is the output voltage from a photodiode like (in mV, uV, or....)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 4, 2006 #3
    i am sorry, but i didn't find any information about the size of the output current and voltage of a photodiode, as i am not sure what size to set on the multimeter to measure the current and the voltage

5. May 4, 2006 #4
    Also can anyone tell me where i can find a graph of the characteristic of a photodiodes please?

6. May 4, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It will depend on what photodiode you use, the maximum current should be specified in the data sheet. Don't quote me on this but I think the last one I used (about 2 years ago) has a maximum photocurrent of 50mA.

~H

7. May 4, 2006 #6
    thx alot for the information Hootenanny, do u have any good website for photodiodes(one that will show a graph for its characteristics and output current)? because i find one, which shows an ordinary photodiodes, but it doesn't tells me about its output current and its characteristic

8. May 4, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photodiodes do not have an "output voltage," because they can't operate as photodiodes unless they are already reverse-biased by an externally applied voltage. They have an "output current" which depends on their illumination. As has been said, there are many, many photodiodes on the market, all a little different.

Browsing a distributor like digikey.com should give you plenty of choices.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?