Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the pdf of multiplication of two random variables?

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    We have two independent random variables X and Y whose pdfs are given as f(x) and f(y). Now when you multiply X and Y you get a random variable say Z. Now what is the resulting pdf f(z)?

I mean how is that related to the pdf of f(x) and f(y)?

From what I read it looks like

f(z)=f(x) * f(y)

where "*" represents convolution.

But I couldn't find how you get that.
    Thanks a lot :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Convolution is the operation for the sum of two variables.

You can get fz via a double integral
    $$P(z<Z)=\iint_{x'y'=z} dx' dy' f_x(x') f_y(y')$$ where the integration limit is a hyperbola.
    You can split this into two parts with explicit integration limits like that:

$$P(z<Z)=\int_{-\infty}^0 dx' f_x(x') \int_{z/x'}^\infty dy' f_y(y') + \int_0^\infty dx' f_x(x') \int_{-\infty}^{z/x'} dy' f_y(y')$$

fz is the derivative of that.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    I know the meaning of convolution but what I would like to know is how multiplication of 2 random variables results in a pdf which is the convolution of the two pdfs.

That's what I would like to know.

Thanks a lot :)

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It does not.
    But I gave one way to calculate the function in my post. You can even derive the whole equation (careful with the limits) to get a more direct expression for f(z).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook