What is the perimeter of a rectangle with a 3:2 ratio and an area of 294 dm2?

So the area is 294 dm2. In summary, a rectangle with a ratio of 3:2 has an area of 294 dm2. To calculate the perimeter, you can use the formula 2W+2L, where W is the width and L is the length. To find the dimensions, you can set L=3x and W=2x, where x is unknown, and solve for x using the given area.
EMEE_
General Information - member notified that some attempt must be shown
Homework Statement
A rectangle has a ratio of 3:2. The area is 294 dm2. What is the perimeter?
Relevant Equations
:
Hi. Could someone please help me with this? :

A rectangle has a ratio of 3:2. The area is 294 dm2. What is the perimeter?

Physics news on Phys.org
How am I supposed to calculate this?

EMEE_ said:
How am I supposed to calculate this?
What is a rectangle? How do you calculate the area and the perimeter of a rectangle?

So the area and ratio are given ( 3:2) and 3 represents the long side and 2 the shorter side. I calculate the area like this: A = L * W ( L is the length and W is the width). I think that the perimeter is 2*W+2*L

EMEE_ said:
View attachment 243519 So the area and ratio are given ( 3:2) and 3 represents the long side and 2 the shorter side. I calculate the area like this: A = L * W ( L is the length and W is the width). I think that the perimeter is 2*W+2*L
But you know that the ratio of the length to the width is 3/2, or ##\frac L W = \frac 3 2##. From this equation you can write the length in terms of the width.

Write your area equation using the value given, and write the equation for the perimeter. Keep in mind what I wrote above.

Let L=3x and W=2x, where x is unknown.

1. What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a rectangle is 2(length + width). This means that you need to add the length and width of the rectangle together, and then multiply that sum by 2.

2. How do you find the perimeter of a rectangle if you only know the length and not the width?

If you only know the length of the rectangle, you can still find the perimeter by doubling the length and adding it to itself. This is because a rectangle has two pairs of equal sides, so doubling the length will give you the total length of all four sides.

3. Can the perimeter of a rectangle be a negative number?

No, the perimeter of a rectangle cannot be a negative number. Perimeter is a measure of distance and distance cannot be negative. If you get a negative number when calculating the perimeter, you have likely made a mistake in your calculations.

4. How does the perimeter of a rectangle relate to its area?

The perimeter of a rectangle is not directly related to its area. However, you can use the perimeter to help you find the area of a rectangle. For example, if you know the perimeter and one of the sides of a rectangle, you can use the formula A = P/4 - s to find the area.

5. Can the perimeter of a rectangle be equal to its area?

Yes, it is possible for the perimeter of a rectangle to be equal to its area. This occurs when the rectangle is a square, as a square has four equal sides. In this case, the perimeter would be equal to 4 times the length of one side, which is also the area of the square.