What is the potential energy of the spring?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
zachmgilbert
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the potential energy of the spring?
mass=.52 kg
velocity=-6.54sin(20.1t)
time=40.84 seconds
amplitude=.33 meters
angular frequency=20.1


Homework Equations


U =1/2kx2



The Attempt at a Solution


I used x=Acos(wt) and got .2 meters for x. I know this is right.I don't know how to find k.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


x=Acos(wt)

This solution only satisfies the differential equation [tex]m\ddot{x}=-kx[/tex] if [tex]\omega^2 = k/m[/tex]
 


What is [tex]\omega^2[/tex]?
 


OK.

If I may ask, what is the independent variable in x=Acos(wt)? I'd like to solve it...
 


Char. Limit said:
OK.

If I may ask, what is the independent variable in x=Acos(wt)? I'd like to solve it...

Hello Char!

The independent variable is time(t) right? The position(x) depends on it.

You now have x,t & k, you should be able to solve for U.
 


Ah, I have the an-word (answer comes from an-swear, meaning "an-word")

I actually wanted to prove the diff e.q. That was mentioned, but I got carried away. The answer is..

Aaaaaaaauuuggh...
Hello Winzer!
 


The Attempt at a Solution


I used x=Acos(wt) and got .2 meters for x. I know this is right.I don't know how to find k.

Then how come the amplitude is 0.33 m?

Anyhow, if you're absolutely sure it's 0.2 m and not 0.33 m, w^2=k/m.