What is the preferred guidance to respond and react to old threads?

• Thread starter Klystron
  • Start date
In summary, PF features such as "Related Threads", "Unanswered Questions", and even "Hot Threads" expose members to prior discussions, a desirable feature. However, when a thread is older than an arbitrary ten years, it is generally not appropriate to react to posts. Older members should be gentle when responding to necro threads.
Klystron
Gold Member
I have questions about best practices for viewing, reacting and responding to older threads. Several PF features such as "Related Threads", "Unanswered Questions", and even "Hot Threads" expose members to prior discussions, a desirable feature.

When is a thread so old it is no longer appropriate to react to a post? Generally, when I read a post less than a year old, particularly a well reasoned definitive answer, I will add a positive reaction. Reacting to a thread or post older than an arbitrary ten years seems inappropriate. Is there a protocol in place?

My criteria for posting a reply to an open thread is more restrictive, say three to six months on the inside depending on the topic, prior interest and the importance I would place on the topic and to my contribution to the discussion.

Some thread creators seem to welcome renewed interest in prior threads while others might respond "That thread is nine months, or two years old...". Guidance welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
After creating this thread I found a two year old discussion here. I should have searched for the term 'policy'. My question also concerns reactions and new PF5 features, so may have merit.

Klystron said:
When is a thread so old it is no longer appropriate to react to a post?

PF has no policy or guideline about this (we call them necro threads). You are allowed to post a reply to any thread that is not locked.

However, I think a common sense rule is to not respond when the OP and the previous posters are no longer following the thread, or no longer remember what it was about. Memory fades, and they may have to re-read the whole thread just to refresh themselves. Older members (like me) risk embarrassing themselves if they just read the most recent post, and give a reply that might contradict what they said in the same thread years ago. So I can cite be gentle with seniors as a reason to not post to a necro thread.

So how long is that before you or I forget about an old thread? It is difficult to give a specific number.

In those circumstances, it makes more sense to start a new thread. The new thread can always include a link to the old thread.

• Informative
Likes DaveE, Wrichik Basu and Klystron
There are some threads that get old, but that I would add to, if it seems to form a nice continuous narrative.
An example of that is the Notre Dame on fire thread, which I added something to about three moths later. Even if it were 6 months or a year later I would have done that in this case.

Likes Klystron

1. What is the purpose of responding to old threads?

The purpose of responding to old threads is to provide updated information or perspectives on a topic that may have changed over time. It also allows for new discussions and insights to be added to the conversation.

2. What is the preferred timeline for responding to old threads?

The preferred timeline for responding to old threads varies and depends on the specific forum or platform. Some may have a specific time frame for responding, while others may allow for responses at any time. It is generally recommended to respond within a reasonable amount of time to keep the conversation active and relevant.

3. How should one respond to old threads?

The preferred guidance for responding to old threads is to first read through the entire thread to understand the context and previous responses. Then, provide a thoughtful and relevant response that adds value to the discussion. It is also important to be respectful and avoid repeating information that has already been mentioned.

4. Is it necessary to respond to every old thread?

No, it is not necessary to respond to every old thread. It is generally recommended to prioritize responding to threads that have had recent activity or are still relevant. However, if you have new information or a unique perspective to add, it can be beneficial to respond to older threads as well.

5. How can responding to old threads benefit scientific discussions?

Responding to old threads can benefit scientific discussions by allowing for new information and perspectives to be shared. It also helps to keep discussions active and relevant, and can lead to further insights and collaborations among scientists. Additionally, it can help to avoid the repetition of information and provide a more comprehensive understanding of a topic.