What Is the Probability of Rolling a 6 in Multiple Dice Rolls?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter calvinjhfeng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dice Rolling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
calvinjhfeng
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I know how to calculate the probability of getting a 1 and then 2 or 1 and 1 and etc, that's just 1/6 * 1/6

Now what if I ask, what is the chance of getting a 6 from 3 rolls? Let's say I roll the dice 3 times and all I want is just a 6 from anyone of these roll? I just want one 6 from any roll, I don't care if it comes in the first or second or third roll.

I might hear an answer 1/6 , but what if I decided to roll this dice infinitely many times and from that, the probability of getting a 6 is definitely 100%, considering it's a fair dice.

So does rolling a dice extra time will add to the probability of getting a desired number?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to do this kind of calculation is to consider the opposite event (never getting a 6). Since the probability is 5/6 on anyone roll. On 3 consecutive rolls it is (5/6)3, so getting at least one 6 is 1 - (5/6)3.
 
o that is simple and quick.
Thank you very much.