What is the Probability of Selecting at Least One Odd Numbered Ball?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter elimeli
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Events Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
elimeli
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
The final question in my homework says:

Assume the balls in the box are numbered 1 through 8, and that an experiment consists of randomly selecting 3 balls one after another without replacement. What probability should be assigned to the event that at least one ball has an odd number?

I have tried several approaches to the problem but they are all wrong :( Can somebody explain how to solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi elimeli. Are you willing to post your work and indicate where you may have had errors/misunderstandings?
 
greg1313 said:
Hi elimeli. Are you willing to post your work and indicate where you may have had errors/misunderstandings?

Since there are 336 outcomes, which I got by multiplying 8 x 7 x 6, that means that each outcome is assigned a probability of 1/336. Since they were asking for balls with odd numbers, I "removed" the even numbers from the original set of outcomes, so that it would be 4 x 3 x 2. So I assumed that at least one odd ball would be 4 x 3 x 2/8 x 7 x 6. However, that was not the answer. My other assumptions were guesses.
 
elimeli said:
Since there are 336 outcomes, which I got by multiplying 8 x 7 x 6, that means that each outcome is assigned a probability of 1/336. Since they were asking for balls with odd numbers, I "removed" the even numbers from the original set of outcomes, so that it would be 4 x 3 x 2. So I assumed that at least one odd ball would be 4 x 3 x 2/8 x 7 x 6. However, that was not the answer. My other assumptions were guesses.

Hi elimeli,

You've found the probability to find only even balls.
The probability to find at least one odd ball is the complement.
That is:
$$P(\text{at least one odd}) = 1 - P(\text{only even}) = 1 - \frac{\text{# combinations with only even}}{\text{# total}} = 1 - \frac{4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2}{8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6}$$