Organometallic Reaction: Benzoic Acid and Phenylmagnesium Bromide Equation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sastronaut
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reactions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Sastronaut
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Write an equation showing how benzoic acid would react with phenylmagnesium bromide.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I am not quite sure where to start first with this Reaction. I haven't seen a Organometallic + acid reaction before. I realize that i have an acidic hydrogen but what would be the first step? would an ether result!? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks pf! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Magnesium and bromide in organic chemistry means only one type of reaction. Actually just googling for reactions of phenylmagnesium bromide gives name of the reaction between first hits. You should really try harder before asking.
 
I know borek, thank you. It gives you the (preparation) reaction mechanism to form phenyl magnesium bromide from bromobenzene and magnesium metal which i understand. It also shows the mechanism to form triphenylmethonal with phenyl magnesium bromide which i also understand. But neither of those reactions use benzoic acid and that is what is throwing me off
 
Phenyl magnesium bromide is a Grignard reagent - have you heard that name?

What is a common use of Grignard reagents?

Why is it of no use here?