What is the proof that the divergence is normal to the surface?

In summary, if you are given a functionf( x , y , z , ...) = Cthen the normal direction to it is simply the (unit vector of the) divergence of the function.
swampwiz
If I am given a function

f( x , y , z , ...) = C

then the normal direction to it is simply the (unit vector of the) divergence of the function. How has this been proven?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be proven because it is not true. Divergence is a number.

Did you mean gradient ?

Here's a handwavy proof that can be made rigorous:

Take two nearby points ##A## and ##B## on the surface ##f(x,y,z,...) = C##, let ##\Delta \vec{r}## be the displacement from ##A## to ##B##. Then the change in ##f## will be approximately given by ##f(B) - f(A) = \nabla f \cdot \Delta \vec{r}##. Since ##f## is constant on the surface, ##f(B) - f(A) = 0##. So we have:

##\nabla f \cdot \Delta \vec{r} = 0##

which implies that ##\nabla f## is orthogonal to ##\Delta \vec{r}##.

Likes swampwiz, lavinia and fresh_42
stevendaryl said:

Take two nearby points ##A## and ##B## on the surface ##f(x,y,z,...) = C##, let ##\Delta \vec{r}## be the displacement from ##A## to ##B##. Then the change in ##f## will be approximately given by ##f(B) - f(A) = \nabla f \cdot \Delta \vec{r}##. Since ##f## is constant on the surface, ##f(B) - f(A) = 0##. So we have:

Equivalently, if c(t) is a curve on the surface ##f(x,y,z,...)=C## then ##f(c(t) = C## so ##df/dt = 0##. By the Chain rule ##0=df/dt = ∇f⋅dc/dt##. Since ##dc/dt## is tangent to the surface for all such curves ##c(t)##, ##∇f## is normal to the surface.

Last edited:
BvU said:
It can't be proven because it is not true. Divergence is a number.

Did you mean gradient ?

Yes, I meant gradient.

stevendaryl said:

This works for me. I presume that making this rigorous requires some tedious δ-ε analysis.

swampwiz said:
This works for me. I presume that making this rigorous requires some tedious δ-ε analysis.
Why? All you need is in #4. It is just the chain rule, which I assume you have already done your epsilon delta construction for.

1. What is divergence?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that describes the amount of flux, or flow, of a vector field out of a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇·F and can be thought of as a measure of how much a vector field is spreading out or converging at a particular point.

2. What does it mean for divergence to be normal to a surface?

When we say that the divergence is normal to a surface, we mean that the flux of the vector field is perpendicular to the surface at a given point. In other words, the vector field is flowing in a direction that is perpendicular to the surface at that point.

3. How is the divergence related to the normal vector of a surface?

The divergence is closely related to the normal vector of a surface because the normal vector represents the direction that is perpendicular to the surface. Since the divergence is also perpendicular to the surface, these two concepts are directly linked.

4. What is the proof that the divergence is normal to a surface?

The proof that the divergence is normal to a surface is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals, also known as the Gauss's divergence theorem. This theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed volume. By using this theorem, we can show that the divergence is indeed normal to the surface.

5. Why is it important to understand the normality of divergence to surfaces?

Understanding the normality of divergence to surfaces is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of vector fields in relation to the surfaces they pass through. This knowledge is crucial in solving many real-world problems and can help us make informed decisions in various applications.