What is the purple flammable liquid pooling in my cloud chamber?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Thundagere
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
I recently observed a liquid pooling at the bottom of my cloud chamber. It was purple in color and rather odd. It was certainly flammable, which leads me to believe that it was a result of solventing between the supersaturated alcohol and the canned air used for my chamber.
http://imageshack.us/a/img525/7906/20121122131134.th.jpg
I'm not quite sure what it is. I know that it was probably a combination of the Isopropyl alcohol and the difluroethane, but I'm not sure on this. Could anyone help me out?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
THe one that I was using had the pain spray painted onto it. It was essentially a jar, with a metal top. The sponge was attached to the metal, and the outside bottom of the jar was spray painted black.
Incidentally, I found out that one had air leaks. I made a new one with sheet metal and a plastic box. The purple liquid did not appear.
 
Perhaps the purple is something extracted from the sponge.
 
But why would it only be extracted from the sponge in an air leak? In the good one, nothing showed up.