Problem with my cloud chamber -- have a mist but no tracks

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of building a Peltier based cloud chamber. The individual has been trying for a few weeks and has a setup using a stack of three Peltier, a high tension module, and pure isopropanol. They have measured temperatures and have had successful results with natural radiation. However, they are currently experiencing a problem where there is a mist but no tracks. They have also tried running it outside with a bigger mist but still no tracks. Suggestions are made to improve the setup, such as using a higher concentration of isopropanol, creating a temperature gradient, and using an "Ion scrubber." The conversation ends with one individual seeking advice from someone who has successfully built a cloud chamber using
Nicube
TL;DR Summary
Problem with my cloud chamber, have a mist but no tracks.
Hi,
For a few weeks I'm trying to build a Peltier based cloud chamber. I use a stack of 3 Peltier (from the bottom, a tec1-12710 12v, tec1-12710 5v, tec1-12709 5v and on top a 60mmx60x2.5 copper plate). I mesured -37° celcius on top of the last Peltier ans -27° on the copper plate. I also have an high tension module and use pure isopropanol.
On one of the first try I got beautiful tracks from natural radiation, but since I can't make it work again. I have a mist, but no tracks. I also tried running it outside, the plate was at -36°, I had a bigger mist but still no tracks.
Do you guys have an idea why it doesn't work ?

The only time the cloud chamber worked :

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_160917.jpg
    IMG_20200122_160917.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG-20200130-WA0018.jpeg
    IMG-20200130-WA0018.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG-20200130-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20200130-WA0023.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 287
Likes Spinnor
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicube said:
Summary::. ...I have a mist, but no tracks. I also tried running it outside, the plate was at -36°, I had a bigger mist but still no tracks
The cloud chamber should be operated at 100% relative “humidity” rather than in a condition where a fog is present. Humidity here meaning isopropanol vapor. The fog chambers I have used were clear - not foggy. The speeding particle induces disturbances in its wake that allow the volatile component to condense into a fog. If the vapor has already condensed though...

A fix would be to decrease the temperature difference between the vapor source and the cold plate. Less power to the Peltiers?

Likes trurle
There are a few factors to consider, assuming you already have the low temperature needed:

- concentration of the alcohol should be as high as possible (min 91% but higher is better)

-temperature gradient - top of the chamber where is the alcohol evaporation taking place should be higher than the bottom (you can use some sort of heater)

- evaporator surface should be evenly situated above the active area - felt works best!

- use low angle bright, sharp (not diffused) light and darken the room. The kind o light that shows off dust particles in the air

- finally consider an "Ion scrubber" - this is a high-voltage field which cleans the ions from the camber and "resets" it.

Before building an actual one...just get an inflated balooon, rub it in some wool to pickup static electricity charge and place it on top of the chamber.
you can take a look at my Cloud Chamber build - blog.kotarak.net

Likes Spinnor
Had the same problem, poured much more Isopropanol 3-6ml - worked as a charm.

Nicube said:
Summary:: Problem with my cloud chamber, have a mist but no tracks.

Hi,
For a few weeks I'm trying to build a Peltier based cloud chamber. I use a stack of 3 Peltier (from the bottom, a tec1-12710 12v, tec1-12710 5v, tec1-12709 5v and on top a 60mmx60x2.5 copper plate). I mesured -37° celcius on top of the last Peltier ans -27° on the copper plate. I also have an high tension module and use pure isopropanol.
On one of the first try I got beautiful tracks from natural radiation, but since I can't make it work again. I have a mist, but no tracks. I also tried running it outside, the plate was at -36°, I had a bigger mist but still no tracks.
Do you guys have an idea why it doesn't work ?

The only time the cloud chamber worked :

Hello, I tried making a peltier cloud chamber using the same peltier setup as you. Now I have the exact same problem as yours mine never worked at all. Did you make it work if so how?

1. Why am I seeing a mist but no tracks in my cloud chamber?

This could be due to a few different reasons. One possibility is that the temperature of the chamber is too high, causing the droplets to evaporate before they can form tracks. Another possibility is that the pressure inside the chamber is too low, making it difficult for droplets to form. Finally, it could be an issue with the supersaturation of the chamber, where there is not enough vapor present for droplets to form tracks.

2. How can I adjust the temperature of my cloud chamber?

Most cloud chambers have a temperature control knob or switch that can be adjusted. If you are using a homemade cloud chamber, you can try placing it in a cooler or warmer area to see if it affects the formation of tracks. It may also be helpful to use a thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the chamber.

3. What can I do to increase the pressure inside my cloud chamber?

If your cloud chamber has a pressure control knob, you can try adjusting it to increase the pressure. If not, you can try sealing any leaks in the chamber to prevent air from escaping. Another option is to add more alcohol or dry ice to the chamber, as this can increase the pressure as well.

4. How do I know if my cloud chamber is supersaturated?

One way to test for supersaturation is to add a small amount of rubbing alcohol to the chamber. If the mist clears up, it is likely that the chamber was supersaturated and adding more vapor may help with the formation of tracks. Another method is to use a hygrometer to measure the humidity inside the chamber.

5. What other factors could be causing the issue with my cloud chamber?

Aside from temperature, pressure, and supersaturation, there are a few other factors that could be affecting the formation of tracks in your cloud chamber. These include the quality of the alcohol being used, the cleanliness of the chamber, and the strength of the electric field. It may also be helpful to double check the instructions or guidelines for your specific cloud chamber to ensure that you are using it correctly.