What is the purpose of this extra bit on my pocket charger?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,697
Reaction score
9,101
I recently bought this pocket charger for my phone.
Simple device, power in, power out.
But it has this extra bit whose purpose I cannot figure out.

Ideas?
recharger.jpg
 
Attachments
  • recharger.jpg
    recharger.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be that you can use a USB connection from your computer to charge your phone instead of the regular charger. The other possibility is that you could charge a second phone.
 
Borg said:
My guess would be that you can use a USB connection from your computer to charge your phone instead of the regular charger.
How? There's one power in and one power out.

Borg said:
The other possibility is that you could charge a second phone.
How?
The slot in which it fits will not take a miniUSB connector. It's too small.

jedishrfu said:
Maybe it was used to power itself for testing?
With a factory power connector? Could be, yeah.
 
Last edited:
OK, with a more careful look in better light, I can see way down into the slot that is exposed when I take the slug out.

There are at least two copper terminals inside the hole that are in a position where a long thin connector could make contact. So, it must be a factory reset/configuration port way down there.
 
My y post was meant to be humorous but it is curious that the rubbery connector can plug into one end and that maybe there was a second adapter which they didn't give you but instead gave you this dummy plug.
 
Couldn't tell the size from the picture other than it looked like a USB shape.
 
jedishrfu said:
My y post was meant to be humorous but it is curious that the rubbery connector can plug into one end and that maybe there was a second adapter which they didn't give you but instead gave you this dummy plug.
I see. I hadnt thought that there could be accessories I don't know about.
 
Borg said:
Couldn't tell the size from the picture other than it looked like a USB shape.
Oh I see, you mean could you plug a male mini-USB into that slot? No. It is both too narrow and too deep. (Hard to tell that the slot is almost a cm deep. It is as deep as the plastic slug is long.)
 
Here's a photot I found of common plugs

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-in-1-Multifunction-USB-charging-cable-splitter-adapter-cell-phone-universal-charger-adapter-plug-charging/1121355240.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A very close look reveals two wire pins that are certainly mounted directly to the circuit board.
I may not know whether they're for configuration or for power, but I'm satisfied that I understand the purpose of the plastic fiddely bit.
It is simply a lid for this port.

slot.jpg
 
jedishrfu said:
Maybe it was used to power itself for testing?
One of the first things I tried to do was see if the power out would reach the power in. :wink:
It does not.