What is the quantum anti-zeno effect?

• Thread starter James MC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the quantum zeno effect says that the survival probability for any given quantum state tends to one as measurements of that state tend to infinity (over a given time), while the anti-zeno effect says that continuous measurement somehow INDUCES state change.
James MC
With the help of some kind PF folk I recently comprehended the idea of the quantum zeno effect. The idea now seems reasonably simple - the survival probability for any given quantum state tends to one as measurements of that state tend to infinity (over a given time), as a mathematical consequence of the Schrodinger equation plus Born rule.

But now I see there's something called the ANTI-zeno effect, where continuous measurement somehow INDUCES state change? I don't see how this could happen since (i) the form of the hamiltonian makes no difference to the above original QZE proof (ii) the hamiltonian operator can be substituted out for any operator and the original QZE proof still holds; and (iii) it seems to have nothing to do with open vs closed systems.

Can anyone explain in simple terms what brings about the anti-zeno effect?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When the measurement is trully continuous, i.e. infinitely fast, then only Zeno effect is possible. But when measurement is not infinitely fast, then more terms in the expansion may be needed, in which case the analysis is more complicated and it may happen that Zeno effect is replaced by an anti-Zeno one. That is a qualitative idea, but quantitatively I am not aware of any simple derivation of the anti-Zeno effect.

Hmm that's interesting. Going through the literature I've not found anyone saying that it's to do with the rate of the measurements. Rather, it appears to have something to do with what's being measured. So for example, here it is claimed that it is "near threshold decay processes" that may be accelerated by repeated measurements. I'm not entirely sure what those are.

In fact here it says:

"Unlike the quantum Zeno effect, which follows from rather general arguments, the possibility of observing a quantum anti-Zeno effect depends on the details of the system."

And finally here it says:

"QZE applies only to a restricted class of quantum decay processes. For many common kinds of 'decay' -- for example, when a radioactive atomic nucleus emits a beta particle, or when an energetic molecule gives out 'fluorescent' light -- frequent measurements help the system make the transition from the initial to the decayed state. The change happens more quickly, in other words."

--- so something funny is going on here...

Actually http://dml.riken.jp/pub/nori/pdf/Srep01752.pdfis slightly more clear:

"In the quantum Zeno effect (QZE) frequent measurements inhibit atomic transitions for a
closed system. In the quantum anti-Zeno effect (QAZE), atomic decays can be accelerated by frequent measurements, when the observed atom also interacts with a heat bath with some spectral distribution."

So apparently it's to do with open versus closed systems now?

The anti-Zeno effect certainly does depend on all these details you mention. But if the measurement were really instantaneous (which in reality never is), all these details would not matter and we would have a perfect Zeno effect.

Okay so for open or closed systems, perfectly continuous measurement yields QZE, moreover closed plus merely frequent measurement yields (approximate) QZE, ...but open plus merely frequent measurement yields QAZE? Or are the conditions less general than this?

James MC said:
Or are the conditions less general than this?
I would say so.

Demystifier said:
I would say so.

Any idea what those conditions are? Or is this not yet known?

Well I just found a very nice paper on this:

http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~amarti9/adfaerf/288. Quantum Zeno and anti-Zeno Effects An Exact Model.pdf

My mathematical background isn't yet sufficient to fully understand this. Nonetheless, it seems that you're right that continuous measurement never gives QAZE, and always gives QZE. This is suggested by their move from equation (29) to equation (30) where they say "Provided n is not too large we can therefore write (30)" and then (30) illustrates the anti-Zeno effect. I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK they are there agreeing with you that QAZE requires frequent non-continuous measurement.

Now, what kind of systems must be continuously measured? I think their view is that it depends quite precisely on the level of environmental dissipation exhibited by the measured system. After (30) they say: "The conclusion is that the QZE is characterized by small γt values whereas the AZE is characterized by large γt values." I think y (gamma) is a measure of dissipation, but it's not clear because they don't really define the term. Also not clear why it's multiplied by time. But at any rate, it seems QAZE obtains if (i) a system's level of dissipation is over a specific threshold and (ii) frequent measurements are over some specific threshold of frequency but not continuous.

If you have any insights do let me know!

1. What is the quantum anti-zeno effect?

The quantum anti-zeno effect is a phenomenon in which the repeated observation of a quantum system can actually prevent it from changing or evolving. This is in contrast to the traditional Zeno effect, where repeated measurements can actually cause a system to change more rapidly.

2. How does the quantum anti-zeno effect work?

The exact mechanism behind the quantum anti-zeno effect is still not fully understood. However, it is believed to be related to the concept of quantum entanglement, where the state of one particle can affect the state of another particle, even when they are physically separated.

3. Can the quantum anti-zeno effect be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, the quantum anti-zeno effect has been observed in various experiments, such as the decay of unstable particles and the behavior of quantum systems in a state of superposition. However, it is still a relatively new and complex phenomenon, so more research is needed to fully understand and utilize it.

4. What are the potential applications of the quantum anti-zeno effect?

The quantum anti-zeno effect has potential applications in quantum computing, where it could be used to prevent errors and improve the stability of quantum systems. It could also have applications in quantum cryptography and other areas of quantum technology.

5. Are there any other related effects to the quantum anti-zeno effect?

Yes, there are several related effects, such as the quantum Zeno effect, the quantum anti-Zeno effect, and the quantum Zeno paradox. These phenomena all involve the role of measurement and observation in quantum systems and are still being studied by scientists.