What is the Range of y=x+1/x for 0<x≤1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter spoc21
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
spoc21
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello, I'm having some trouble with the following problem:

Solve y = x+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] for 0 < x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Homework Equations



y = x+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] for 0 < x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not sure on how to start. I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to this problem, but have had no luck. The only thing comes to mind is that y = [tex]\frac{x}{x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] = 1. This solution seems to trivial; I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll assume the question instead means find the range of the function for the domain 0<x<1.

Are you allowed to use calculus?

I would start by finding the limit of y as x approaches 0+ and find y when x=1. If you can't use calculus then it will probably suffice to just explain that as x increases in that interval, y is always decreasing. This is enough information to give the range.