What is the reaction order of SN1

• Thread starter shredder666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, there is a disagreement between the student and teacher about the rate determining step of SN1 mechanisms. While the student argues that it is first order due to being a unimolecular substitution, the teacher believes it is zeroth order because the leaving group leaves spontaneously in the appropriate solvent. However, this argument is not valid as solvent effects can only affect the rate of the reaction, not the reaction order. Therefore, the rate determining step for SN1 mechanisms is still considered to be first order.
shredder666
Sorry the title is bit misleading, I'm actually talking about the rate determining step of SN1 mechanisms. I thought it was first order, but my teacher disagrees.

he argues that it is zeroth order because in the appropriate solvent, the leaving group leaves spontaneously regardless of its concentration, thus the rate expression

rate=k[substrate]^0

my argument is that first, it is unimolecular substitution, thus the name SN1 (I'm only talking about the rate determining step, not the whole reaction).
Second only the substrate was involved in the reaction itself. The solvent just modifies the K value. Thus the rate expression
rate=k[substrate]^1

I do realize that a lot of texts (that I know of) tends towards my argument, but please ignore it for now, for most mechanisms are only proposed.
thank u

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As a your teacher says, that the leaving group will leave spontaneously in the appropriate solvent. So that isn't good enough to generalisation that all SN1 reactions are of zeroth order.
But let's assume that the Formation of the carbocation,i.e, the rate-determining step, is spontaneous. Then it will no longer remain the slowest step. It will, in fact, proceed faster than the second step of the reaction. And automatically the second step will become the slowest step and determine the rate. So, you end up with a second order reaction, anyway. A total contradiction.
Further, The rate of a reaction depends on all the steps in the reaction. If you have a step which is prominently slower than all others, it becomes the rate determining step, because here, the rates of the other steps do not greatly affect the rate of the overall reaction. If the rates of the steps involved are comparable, you will have a complicated rate law equation. So even by this argument you may get a complicated rate law, but zero order isn't probable.

shredder666 said:
...he argues that it is zeroth order because in the appropriate solvent, the leaving group leaves spontaneously regardless of its concentration, thus the rate expression...

If that is what your teacher said, then teacher is wrong. Spontaneity is not the correct term to use in a reaction order or rate of reaction discussion. How the concentration of the species that is ionizing affects the overall rate of the reaction is the only pertinent point to discuss.

It is well known that solvent effects affect the rate of reaction but not the reaction order. A high dielectric solvent might lower the energy barrier leading to the reactive intermediate and thus increase the rate, but how the concentration of that species affects the overall rate remains unchanged... first order for SN1.

What is the reaction order of SN1?

The reaction order of SN1 (substitution nucleophilic unimolecular) refers to the dependence of the reaction rate on the concentration of the substrate only.

How is the reaction order of SN1 determined?

The reaction order of SN1 can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rate of the reaction at different concentrations of the substrate. The rate law can then be determined by plotting the rate versus concentration and finding the exponent of the substrate concentration that gives a linear relationship.

What is the rate law for an SN1 reaction?

The rate law for an SN1 reaction is rate = k[A], where k is the rate constant and [A] is the concentration of the substrate.

How does the reaction order affect the rate of an SN1 reaction?

The reaction order affects the rate of an SN1 reaction by determining how the rate changes with the concentration of the substrate. A higher reaction order means that the rate is more sensitive to changes in the substrate concentration, while a lower reaction order means that the rate is less sensitive.

What factors can influence the reaction order of SN1?

The reaction order of SN1 can be influenced by various factors such as the nature of the substrate, the strength of the nucleophile, and the solvent used. These factors can affect the rate of the reaction and therefore change the reaction order.