1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the reason that 1/x is not lebesgue integrable?

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    What is the reason that 1/x is not lebesgue integrable where as 1/x^2 is integrable. You can use any theorems: monotone convergence, dominated convergence you want.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integrable where?

4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    Probably in some unbounded region not containing zero; if the region contains zero then 1/x2 is not integrable, and if the region is bounded and does not contain zero, both are integrable.

5. Dec 2, 2008 #4
    [0,1]
    Both 1/x and 1/(x^2) are not lebesgue integrable on [0,1]?
    I thought 1/(x^2) is while 1/x isn't

6. Dec 2, 2008 #5
    Let X be a subset of R, let f(x)=x^-1, and g(x)=x^-2. If both f and g are bounded on X, this implies that X does not contain 0, implying that both f and g are continuous on X. Thus f and g are measurable on X. Furthermore, if X is compact and does not contain zero, things get much nicer, as the Riemann integrals are guaranteed to be finite, implying that the function must be Lebesgue integrable.

In general, let K be a compact set. If f, a positive valued function is Riemann integrable on K then, f belongs to L_1[K] (Lebesgue integrable on K). This is a nice theorem to use when one is trying to prove that a function is Lebesgue integrable( Using the fundamental theorem of calculus). However, if K=[0,1], both x^-1, and x^-2 are non Riemann integrable on the compact set [0,1]. So this does not help much.

In fact both 1/x and 1/x^2 are non Lebesgue integrable on [0,1]. I will just prove that 1/x is non Lebesgue integrable on [0,1] as the second case is very similar.
    Proof:
    Let A=[a,a+e], where a in [0,1], and e is small enough such that A is included in [0,1]. Now, let X_A be the characteristic function of A. Let us defined phi(x)=((a+e)^-1)X_A. phi is a simple function thus the Lebesgue integral of phi is equal to m(A)((a+e)^-1)=e((a+e)^-1), since m(A)=a+e-a=e. We observe then, that the integral of phi depends on the value of a in [0,1]. Now let a converge to 0, then the Lebesgue integral of phi converges to infinity. Now, we know that both phi and f belongs to L+ which is the set of all the positive measurable functions not necessarily Lebesgue integrable though. Also, we know that for any x, 1/x >= phi(x), thus, int(1/x)>=int(phi(x))= infinity. Hence 1/x is non-Lebesgue integrable.

Vignon S. Oussa

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  7. Dec 2, 2008 #6
    Well, 1/x2 ≥ 1/x on (0, 1].

8. Dec 2, 2008 #7
    Even better, in the extended real number set, 1/x2 ≥ 1/x on [0, 1].

9. Dec 3, 2008 #8
    Thanks for the reply. But on the extended real set, 1/x=1/x^2 at x=0 right. both are equal to +inf

10. Dec 3, 2008 #9
    I think the crucial step in your proof is 1/x >= phi(x)
    where phi(x)=((a+e)^-1)X_A
    May I ask why? This is a myth to me.

11. Dec 3, 2008 #10
    Ok let me clarify then. Take any x in (0,1].

Case1: if x does not belong to A,
    phi(x) =((a+e)^-1)X_A(x)=((a+e)^-1)0=0
    f(x)=1/x. Thus f(x)> 0 ---> f(x) = phi(x)

Case2: if x does belong to A
    phi(x) =((a+e)^-1)X_A(x)=((a+e)^-1)1=((a+e)^-1)
    x is in [a,a+e] thus x<=a+e, implying that 1/x >=((a+e)^-1). Thus f(x)>=((a+e)^-1)=phi(x) when x belongs to A

In conclusion, in either case we must always have f(x)>=phi(x) when x is in (0,1]. I hope I cleared things up for you

Vignon S. Oussa

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  12. Dec 3, 2008 #11
    both statements with " = " or ">= "are equivalent statements. Remember from logic theory that (True OR False) is equivalent to True.

Vignon S. Oussa

13. Nov 2, 2011 #12
    The lebesgue integral of phi = e/(a+e), no? So letting a -> 0 shows that the integral of phi goes to 1, not infinity.

14. Nov 2, 2011 #13
    It's considerably easier just to take the anti-derivatives: ln |x| and -1/x. These don't behave well as x approaches 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?