What is the redshift and velocity of the galaxy relative to us

In summary, the conversation is centered around solving a problem involving a galaxy that shows an emission line at a specific wavelength, identifying it as the H-alpha line in the Balmer series of Hydrogen. The goal is to determine the redshift and velocity of the galaxy relative to us. The suggested equations involve using Planck's constant and the Hubble constant, but there is confusion about the values for emitted and observed wavelength. The final post mentions the importance of measuring the frequency difference for accurate redshift measurements.
b_o3
hey everyone... so I am tryna solve this problem :

a galaxy shows an emission line at a wavelenght of 6610.2 A, which we identify as the H-alpha line in the Balmer series of Hydrogen. what is the redshift and velocity of the galaxy relative to us.

period= 4.3 days
magnitude= 26.25
absolute magnitude= -3.21
distance= 7 800 000

okay so my main problem is trying to get Planck's constant. I'm tryna use v(redshift velocity)=H0(planck's constant) * D

OR should i use Z(redshift)= (wavelenght observed-wavelenght emitted) / wavelenght emitted

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
H0 is the Hubble constant, here.

yes it is ...

Use
Z(redshift)= (wavelength observed-wavelength emitted) / wavelength emitted

yea but i don't have 'wavelenght emitted'... i only have wavelenght observed :S

Wavelength emitted is given as

"H-alpha line in the Balmer series of Hydrogen"

look it up.

the wavelenght is not exact... and that's not what they meant by that (i think?) because they gave the wavelenght and i think they just mentioned the balmer series for clarification... at a wavelenght of 6610.2 A, which we identify as the H-alpha line

okay i re-did the problem and now i have these values:

distance = 29.46 m
M (absolute magnitude)= -3.21
period= 4.3 days
m(magnitude)= 26.25

i just can't seem to find an equation WITHOUT another value for wavelenght (emitted wavelenght value_)

The whole point about red-shift measurements is to get the frequency difference. The emitted frequency is different and we can measure it here on Earth and compare with what we received.

Your post #7 is just wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is redshift and how is it related to the galaxy's velocity?

Redshift is the phenomenon in which the light from an object appears to have a longer wavelength than it actually does due to its motion away from the observer. This motion is related to the galaxy's velocity through the Hubble's law, which states that the further a galaxy is from us, the faster it appears to be moving away and the greater its redshift.

2. How do scientists measure the redshift of a galaxy?

Scientists measure the redshift of a galaxy by analyzing its spectrum. This involves splitting the light from the galaxy into its component wavelengths and then comparing it to the spectrum of known elements. The difference in the wavelengths of the spectral lines indicates the redshift of the galaxy.

3. Can the redshift of a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the redshift of a galaxy can change over time. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the space between galaxies to stretch. As the distance between us and a galaxy increases, so does its redshift.

4. How does the redshift of a galaxy help us understand the universe?

The redshift of a galaxy is an important tool for understanding the universe because it provides valuable information about the age, size, and expansion rate of the universe. By studying the redshift of galaxies, scientists can also determine the distribution of matter in the universe and make predictions about its future.

5. Is there a limit to the redshift of a galaxy?

Yes, there is a limit to the redshift of a galaxy. The maximum redshift that can be observed is known as the cosmological redshift and is caused by the expansion of the universe. Beyond this limit, the light from a galaxy becomes too redshifted to be detected by current technology.