Modern Physics-Einstein's Postulates/Relativistic Velocity

• Thread starter giraffe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the question is about the relativistic doppler effect and how it relates to the emission line of hydrogen observed from distant galaxies. The problem involves using the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light to determine the velocity of a galaxy moving away from us at which the emission line would be observed in the visible region at a wavelength of 366 nm. The equation for the relativistic doppler effect is given and the solution is 0.8c. The student is unsure of how to develop equations from the postulates and is asking for guidance on how to approach the problem.
giraffe

Homework Statement

12. one of the strongest emission lines observed from distant galaxies comes from hydrogen and has a wavelength of 122 nm(in the ultraviolet region).
a) how fast must a galaxy be moving away from us in order for that line to be observed in the visible region at 366 nm?
b) what would be the wavelength of the line if that galaxy were moving toward us at the same speed?

Homework Equations

the book I am using has the chapter separated into smaller sections as you read through it. so it has the problems separated into these same sections so you know what information to look for or need. book is modern physics 3rd edition by kenneth krane

so this question is in the consequences of einstein's postulates. the first one is the principle of relativity and the second one is the principle of the constancy of the speed of light. i do know that this problem would have to do with relativistic velocity addition.

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know/understand how to develop equations from these two postulates. the book has an example with equations for the relativistic velocity addition but how does wavelength fit into this? this leads me to believe that i need to somehow draw a picture and develop specific equations for this problem. if this is the case, how do i go about doing such a thing with such minimal information? i know that i would need to use us(earth) as one observer point(o) and the other galaxy as another(o').

thanks for all your continued help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is concerned with relativistic doppler effect:
Attached please find the equation.
giraffe said:

Homework Statement

12. one of the strongest emission lines observed from distant galaxies comes from hydrogen and has a wavelength of 122 nm(in the ultraviolet region).
a) how fast must a galaxy be moving away from us in order for that line to be observed in the visible region at 366 nm?
b) what would be the wavelength of the line if that galaxy were moving toward us at the same speed?

Homework Equations

the book I am using has the chapter separated into smaller sections as you read through it. so it has the problems separated into these same sections so you know what information to look for or need. book is modern physics 3rd edition by kenneth krane

so this question is in the consequences of einstein's postulates. the first one is the principle of relativity and the second one is the principle of the constancy of the speed of light. i do know that this problem would have to do with relativistic velocity addition.

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know/understand how to develop equations from these two postulates. the book has an example with equations for the relativistic velocity addition but how does wavelength fit into this? this leads me to believe that i need to somehow draw a picture and develop specific equations for this problem. if this is the case, how do i go about doing such a thing with such minimal information? i know that i would need to use us(earth) as one observer point(o) and the other galaxy as another(o').

thanks for all your continued help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 1.45.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 1.45.41 PM.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 716
so letting lambda be the 366 and lambda sub 0(or lambda not) be the 122 and solving the equation for v i get 0.8c.

Well td21... That was a bit useless as a method of helping the student towards an answer. Not only did you simply give the student a formula, but did so without any explanatory text or looking at their proposed solution.

Yeah Giraffe, if you plug n chug that is what you get. *sigh*

Likes 1 person
Thanks quantum. I'm only 2-3 wks into school so I'm not quite sure of the type of answers I should be getting as my professor just gives a lot of historical information in lecture but no example problems.

Quantum Braket said:
Well td21... That was a bit useless as a method of helping the student towards an answer. Not only did you simply give the student a formula, but did so without any explanatory text or looking at their proposed solution.

I apologize for giving little explanation on the formula given and the term relativistic doppler effect. I will improve on my approach next time by giving more explanations to the students.
I actually hope the student can look into relativistic doppler effect by himself in the library or in the world wide web and ponder over the equation I gave him. I should not give him the equation.
I apologize for doing so and regret it. I will improve on my answering techniques and approaches in the future.

1. What are Einstein's postulates and how do they relate to modern physics?

Einstein's postulates are two fundamental principles that form the basis of his theory of special relativity. The first postulate states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity. The second postulate states that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and independent of the observer's motion. These postulates were revolutionary in modern physics as they challenged the previously accepted notion of absolute space and time.

2. How does Einstein's theory of special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to special relativity, time is relative and can appear to pass at different rates for different observers. This is known as time dilation. It occurs when an object moves at high speeds relative to an observer, causing time to slow down for the moving object. This phenomenon is a direct consequence of Einstein's postulates and has been confirmed through experiments and observations.

3. Can an object ever reach the speed of light, as predicted by Einstein's theory?

No, according to Einstein's theory, it is impossible for an object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the amount of energy required to accelerate it further also increases. This means that an infinite amount of energy would be needed to reach the speed of light, making it impossible for any object to achieve.

4. How does Einstein's theory of special relativity affect our understanding of space and time?

Einstein's theory of special relativity redefined our understanding of space and time. It showed that the concepts of absolute space and time are not valid and that they are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also introduced the idea of spacetime, where space and time are intertwined and cannot be considered separately. This has had a significant impact on modern physics, leading to breakthroughs in areas such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.

5. What is the difference between Newtonian mechanics and Einstein's theory of special relativity?

The main difference between the two is their approach to space and time. Newtonian mechanics assumes that space and time are absolute and do not change depending on the observer's frame of reference. On the other hand, Einstein's theory of special relativity states that space and time are relative and can change depending on the observer's velocity. This leads to different predictions for phenomena such as time dilation and the speed of light, making Einstein's theory more accurate in explaining the behavior of objects at high speeds.