What is the relationship between refractive index and pressure in gases?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
Aeon
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Dependence of refractive index on pressure

Homework Statement


Show that, in a gas (for which the refractive index is close to 1), the refractive index depends on the pressure as [tex]n_r = 1+ K\times p[/tex], and find the value of K.

Homework Equations



[tex]n_r = 1+ K\times p[/tex]
Clausius-Mossotti equation: [tex]\frac{\epsilon_r - 1}{\epsilon_r + 2} = \frac{\rho N_a \alpha}{3M\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha^'\ = \frac{\alpha}{4\pi \epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]n_r = \epsilon_r^{1/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Any help to get me started, conceptual or mathematical, will be appreciated!

PS: I think I have posted this question in the right forum now. I had posted it in Advanced Physics before... I would have deleted my other post, but I can't.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which quantity on the right-hand side depends on the pressure p?

ehild
 
Supposing you're talking about the Clausius equation, I would say [tex]\frac{\rho}{M} = \frac{1}{V_m}[/tex] depends on the pressure (inversely to how it behaves in phase diagrams).
 
The problem confuses me. I don't understand how I can go from the Clausius equation to [tex] n_r = 1+ K\times p[/tex]
 
Think of the ideal gas law. What is the relation between density and pressure?

ehild
 
[tex]\rho = \frac{mp}{nRT}[/tex]

To be honest, I'm starting to think I don't even NEED the Clausius equation to solve this problem...

Do I?
 
You do. Check the ideal gas law. It is wrong as you wrote it.
The symbol n in the ideal gas low means number of moles, n= mass/molar mass. And look after the meaning of the symbols in the Clausius equation.

ehild