What is the Result of Plugging g(x) Into f(x)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
The question wants (f•g)(x). I understand this to be
f(g(x)).

This means to plug the value of g(x) into every x I see in f(x) and simplify.

f(3x^2) = 4(3x^2) + 7

f(3x^2) = 12x^2 + 7

So, f(g(x)) = 12x^2 + 7.

This is not the book's answer.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
The question wants (f•g)(x). I understand this to be
f(g(x)).

This means to plug the value of g(x) into every x I see in f(x) and simplify.

f(3x^2) = 4(3x^2) + 7

f(3x^2) = 12x^2 + 7

So, f(g(x)) = 12x^2 + 7.

This is not the book's answer.
What are your functions f(x), g(x)? Can't help you if we don't know that! Please give us the whole problem.

-Dan
 
f(x) = 4x + 7

g(x) = 3x^2

So, f(g(x)) = 12x^2 + 7.

This is not the book's answer.

For the two functions you cite, your solution is correct ... what is the "book answer" ?