What are the values of x for f(x) = g(x)?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Iwanttolearn1
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Iwanttolearn1
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello, mathhelpboards. I'm having trouble solving this problem on my review but can't figure out how to start it.

Find the values of x for which f(x) = g(x).

f(x) = x^2 , g(x) = 10 - 3x.

It seems like its easy but I can't really pick out what to put what where.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Iwanttolearn said:
Hello, mathhelpboards. I'm having trouble solving this problem on my review but can't figure out how to start it.

Find the values of x for which f(x) = g(x).

f(x) = x^2 , g(x) = 10 - 3x.

It seems like its easy but I can't really pick out what to put what where.

Hey Iwanttolearn! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Let's see...
\[
f(x)=g(x) \Rightarrow x^2=10-3x \Rightarrow x^2+3x-10=0
\]
For which $x$ would that be the case? (Wondering)
 
I like Serena said:
Hey Iwanttolearn! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Let's see...
\[
f(x)=g(x) \Rightarrow x^2=10-3x \Rightarrow x^2+3x-10=0
\]
For which $x$ would that be the case? (Wondering)

So you would put the f(x) value into the g(x)? I think that looks right or either I'm completely wrong.
 
Iwanttolearn said:
So you would put the f(x) value into the g(x)? I think that looks right or either I'm completely wrong.

We're replacing the occurences of $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ by their respective definitions.
That gives us an equation we can solve with the quadratic formula, or just with inspection...
 
I like Serena said:
We're replacing the occurences of $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ by their respective definitions.
That gives us an equation we can solve with the quadratic formula, or just with inspection...

Oh wow! I get it now. Many thanks your way!(Handshake)(Happy)