What is the Rh = ct cosmology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Rh = ct cosmology and its components, including h, c, t, and R. It is mentioned that the R_h = ct description comes close to matching observations, but it fails to describe the universe at very early times. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their response and acknowledging a mistake made regarding the units of Rh.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I have been looking at several articles recently about the Rh = ct cosmology, but none of them have explained the meaning of the equation. They just assume than anyone looking at such an article will already know what it means. I guess that (1) h is the Hubble "constant", and (2) c is the speed of light, and (3) t is some kind of time. But R is a mystery. R must be a units like m s, but i can't think of what such a variable might be.

Will someone please explain this?

Space news on Phys.org
Coasting cosmology. This would be an accurate picture of our universe if the universe was perfectly empty. All objects within such a universe would move at constant velocity.

The "[itex]R_h = ct[/itex]" description is because in such a universe, the Hubble radius (given by [itex]R_h = c / H_0[/itex]) increases with time as [itex]ct[/itex].

People talk about this universe because it rather coincidentally comes somewhat close to matching observations (it completely fails to describe our universe at very early times, however).

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi Chalnoth:

Thank you very much for your post completely answering my question. I also apperciate your not mentioning the dumb mistake I made regarding Rh having units m s.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the Rh = ct cosmology?

The Rh = ct cosmology is a theoretical model of the universe that states that the age of the universe is equal to the distance light has traveled since the Big Bang, multiplied by the speed of light. This model suggests that the universe is neither expanding nor contracting, but is instead in a steady state.

2. How does the Rh = ct cosmology differ from other cosmological models?

The Rh = ct cosmology differs from other models, such as the Big Bang theory, by proposing that the universe is not expanding and that the age of the universe is equal to the distance light has traveled since the Big Bang. This is in contrast to the Big Bang theory which suggests that the universe is expanding and has a finite age.

3. What evidence supports the Rh = ct cosmology?

Currently, there is limited observational evidence to support the Rh = ct cosmology. However, some researchers have used data from Type Ia supernovae and cosmic microwave background radiation to support the idea of a steady-state universe. Further research and observations are needed to confirm this model.

4. What are the implications of the Rh = ct cosmology?

If the Rh = ct cosmology is correct, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would challenge the commonly accepted idea of the Big Bang and the expanding universe, and could potentially lead to a re-evaluation of our understanding of the universe's origins and evolution.

5. Can the Rh = ct cosmology be proven?

At this time, the Rh = ct cosmology is still a theoretical model and has not been proven. Many scientists are skeptical of this model due to the lack of observational evidence and its deviation from the widely accepted Big Bang theory. Further research and observations are needed to support or disprove this model.