Qs re Cosmological Models Using Bayesian Probability Methods

In summary, cosmological models have five parameters, H0, Ωr, Ωm, Ωk, ΩΛ, with the constraint that the sum of the last four equals 1. Non-Bayesian methods can be used to calculate best fit values for these parameters, while Bayesian methods use a prior value or distribution for the variable and contingent probabilities for other variables. Typically, flat priors are used for most parameters in a cosmological model, but the choice of which parameters to use can influence the outcome. A flat prior is equivalent to ignoring the prior probability.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have questions about how Bayesian probabilities are used when calculating the model parameters of a universe model based on the Friedmann equation at the beginning of the post body.
FriedmannEq.png

I am familiar with non-Bayesian methods for calculating best fit values of various parametric models, but I have not had any experience with cosmological models calculations. My understanding is that these models have five parameters:
H0, Ωr, Ωm, Ωk, ΩΛ,​
and the last four satisfy the constraint that their sum exactly equals 1.

(If anyone is interested about how I think I would go about calculating a non-Bayesian best fit of the five parameters, I will post a description about this.)

I also have a limited understanding of calculating probabilities using Bayesian methods. I understand that to calculate a probability value (or distribution) for a variable one assumes an a priori value (or distribution) for the variable along with various contingent probabilities that depend on other variables.

Q1. What are some examples of these contingent probabilities used for cosmological modeling?

Q2. What priors are used for the variables?
I searched the paper
for use of the word “prior”, and found only one usage. (pg 4)
Thus, the CIB model used in this paper is specified by only one amplitude, ACIB217×217, which is assigned a uniform prior in the range 0–200 μK2.​
I would much appreciate it if someone would explain what this means.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Aside: ##\Omega_r## is most of the time not used as a separate free parameter, because it is measurable extremely precisely by the average temperature of the CMB, which is known to a fraction of a percent (secondary aside: to be precise, ##\Omega_r H_0^2## is the value that is known with extremely high precision).

Typically, flat priors are used for most parameters in a cosmological model. There is some choice in terms of which parameters are used which does influence the outcome, however. For instance, a flat prior in ##\Omega_m## is not necessarily the same thing as a flat prior in ##\rho_m##. Shifting the prior can influence the outcome by roughly one standard deviation in most reasonable cases.

Mathematically, a flat prior is the same as just ignoring the prior probability altogether.

What is a cosmological model?

A cosmological model is a theoretical framework used to describe the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. It is based on scientific observations and mathematical equations, and is constantly updated as new data and theories emerge.

What is Bayesian probability?

Bayesian probability is a statistical method that uses prior knowledge or beliefs about a situation, along with new evidence, to calculate the probability of a hypothesis being true. It is a way to update our beliefs as we gather more information.

How are Bayesian probability methods used in cosmological models?

Bayesian probability methods are used in cosmological models to calculate the probability of different scenarios or models being true based on observational data. This allows scientists to compare and evaluate different models and make predictions about the universe.

What are the advantages of using Bayesian probability methods in cosmological models?

One advantage of using Bayesian probability methods is that it allows for the incorporation of prior knowledge and beliefs into the analysis, which can help to reduce uncertainty and improve the accuracy of predictions. It also allows for the updating of probabilities as new data becomes available.

What are some potential limitations of using Bayesian probability methods in cosmological models?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the prior knowledge and assumptions used. Additionally, the complexity of the models and calculations involved can make it difficult to interpret and communicate the results to a wider audience.