What is the Saha equation and how does it apply to hydrogen gas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zenodv
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Hydrogen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zenodv
Homework Statement
Imagine you find a sample of hydrogen gas which is 50% ionized (ie n+/(n+ + n0) = 0.5 orn+/n0 = 1) at a temperature T = 10, 000 K.
(a) What fraction of the gas would be ionized (or what would n
+/n0 be) if there were twice as much
hydrogen in the same volume?
(b) What fraction of the gas would be ionized (or what would n
+/n0 be) if the temperature were
reduced to T = 5, 000 K (and the amount of hydrogen weren’t changed)?
(The question is in the image attached.)
Relevant Equations
Saha equation
I have no clue. I am stuck. I would appreciate If someone could help me out. I just know I need to use the Saha equation.
 
Attachments
  • image.png
    image.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org