1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the scalar product V_1(DOT)V_2 ?

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Vector V_1 points along the z axis and has magnitude V_1 = 80. Vector V_2 lies in the xz plane, has magnitude V_2 = 51, and makes a -49o angle with the x axis (points below x axis)

2. Relevant equations

A.B=ABCos(theta)=AxBx+AyBy+AzBz

Cos(theta)=(AxBx+AyBy+AzBz)/AB
    3. The attempt at a solution

im not really sure where to go from here im not sure if those equations are useful

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equations are indeed useful. Find the x,y and z components of each vector, then apply the first equation that you posted.

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    ok that helps a lot i dont know why i did do that. but how do you find the z component of the V_2=51?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw yourself two axes in the plane of the paper. Label the horizontal one x and the vertical one z (instead of the usual y). Draw the vector as indicated. Can you find its x and z components?

6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    ahh thanks that makes much more sense. i got the final answer to be -3079.2 which is indeed correct. the help is appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook