What is the significance of rotation in equations?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wumple
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
wumple
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
This is sort of a homework question but I'm not looking for an answer. I'm just trying to understand exactly what's going on. It says "Among all the equations of the form [the general second order linear homogeneous partial differential equation], show that the only ones that are unchanged under all rotations (rotationally invariant) havce the form a(uxx + uyy) + bu =0.

What exactly does it mean for an equation to be rotated? I don't understand what's going on here very well.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess it means if you rotate the coordinate system through an arbitrary angle, the form of the equation stays the same, i.e. you don't get a uxy term.
 
Let [itex]x= x'cos(\theta)+ y' sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= -x'sin(\theta)+ y'cos(\theta)[/itex], so that [itex]x'= xcos(\theta)- ysin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y'= xsin(\theta)+ ycos(\theta)[/itex], and use the chain rule to replace [itex]u_{xx}[/itex] and [itex]u_{yy}[/itex] with derivatives in terms of x' and y' rather than x and y.

For example, [itex]u_x= u_x'(x'_x)+ u_y'(y'_x)= cos(\theta)u_x'+ sin(\theta)u_y'[/itex].