What is the significance of the A004730 sequence in mathematics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
icystrike
Messages
444
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Can someone explain to me what is this sequence referred in the page?
http://oeis.org/A004730"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says what it is on the page, right? '!' is 'double factorial'. If n is even n! is the product of all of the even numbers up to n and if n is odd then it's the product of all of the odd numbers. I.e. 5!/6!=(1*3*5)/(2*4*6)=5/16. Then take the numerator. That's the 5 entry.
 
Last edited:
Thanks! =D I didnt know there is a double factorial
 
Now I'm confused. 4!/5! should be 2*4/(3*5)=8/15. I don't see a 15 in the series.
 
Dick said:
Now I'm confused. 4!/5! should be 2*4/(3*5)=8/15. I don't see a 15 in the series.

Never mind. I was looking at the denominator instead of the numerator.
 
The series has included both numerator and denominator... So its Ok! =D
 
These "double factorials" can always be written in terms of the usual factorial:

If n is even, say n= 2k, then
[itex]n!= 2(4)(6)...(2k-2)(2k)= (2(1))(2(2))(2(3))...(2(k-1))(2k)= 2^k k![/tex]<br /> <br /> If n is odd, say n= 2k+ 1, then <br /> [tex]n!= 3(5)(7)...(2k-1)(2k+1)= \frac{2(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)...(2k-1)(2k)(2k+1)}{2(4)(6)...(2k)}[/tex]<br /> [tex]= \frac{(2k+1)!}{2^k k!}[/tex][/itex]