What is the significance of the Δn difference operator in mathematics?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Vodkacannon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difference Operator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Vodkacannon
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
We all know the greek letter delta is the mathematical symbol that represents "change in."

I though about a new form of delta: Δn. Where n2 = the # of terms when you expand the delta operator.

For example: the usual Δx = x2 - x1
But now: Δ2x = (X4-X3) - (X2-X1). We can see that for Δ2 there are 22 (4) terms.

Why the heck haven't I head of this notation. Does it just not exist? It does not seem to be used that much in mathematics.

Taking a Δn is like taking the nth derivative of a function is it not?

Wow. I discovered something by myself and I didn't even know it existed.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_operator
Scroll down until you get to the title called "nth difference"
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In my understanding, it is mainly engineers (or at least: applied people) who work with finite difference methods. So if you don't care for applications, then it makes sense that you never heard of it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Vodkacannon said:
Wow. I discovered something by myself and I didn't even know it existed.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_operator
Scroll down until you get to the title called "nth difference"

The basic topic to look up is "The Calculus Of Finite Differences". A interesting book on the subject was written by George Boole himself.