1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT Wicks theorem contraction -- different fields terms of propagation

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to express ##T(\phi(x1)\Phi(x2)\phi(x3)\Phi(x4)\Phi(x5)\Phi(x6))## in terms of the Feynman propagators ##G_F^{\phi}(x-y)## and ##G_F^{\Phi}(x-y)##

where ##G_F^{\phi}(x-y) =\int \frac{d^{4}k}{(2\pi)^{4}}e^{ik(x-y)} \frac{ih}{-k.k - m^2 -i\epsilon} ##
    and ##G_F^{\Phi}(x-y) =\int \frac{d^{4}k}{(2\pi)^{4}}e^{ik(x-y)} \frac{ih}{-k.k - M^2 -i\epsilon} ##

2. Relevant equations

##<0|T(\phi(x1)\Phi(x2)\phi(x3)\phi(x4)\phi(x5)\phi(x6)) |0> = : non-fully contracted terms : + fully contracted terms = fully contracted terms ##

where ##T## is the time ordering operator

##<0| ## being the vacuum state,

since non-fully contracted terms, i.e. where every field is not involved in a contraction will vanish.

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is how/ can you contract over two different fields?

I am fine with contractions over two of the same field, but can't find any notes/examples on what to do in the case of two different fields - here ##\phi(x)## and ##\Phi(x)##

In particular, if you can't, the question ask to express the final answer in terms of ##G_F^{\phi}(x-y)## and ##G_F^{\Phi}(x-y)##, and I can't see how you could write the contraction over two different fields in terms of this.

I know ##G^{\phi} (x1-x3) = contraction of the fields \phi(x1) , \phi(x3)##

and similarly that ##G^{\Phi} (x4-x5) = contraction of the fields \Phi(x4) , \Phi(x5)##

but no idea how you would write e.g contraction over the fields ## \phi(x1), \Phi(x5)## in terms of ##G_F^{\phi}(x-y)## and ##G_F^{\Phi}(x-y)##?

Can you contract over two different fields?

Help really appreciated,
    (Or a point to some notes on this)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    many thanks.

a possible explanation or a point towards one?

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't type much (on my phone). Go back to how contractions were constructed, i.e., what does a contraction entail?

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5
    oh right, no worries at all, thanks for your help,
    so i looked at a derivation of time ordering of a field by splitting a field ##\phi## into its annihilation and creation operator components, and then get normal ordered + commutator terms, the commutator terms being the contraction...oh so commutators of different fields is zero- is this why?

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted