What is the slope of a force vs. distance graph?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JJBladester
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Graph Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 60K views
JJBladester
Gold Member
Messages
281
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


What is represented by the slope of a Force vs. Distance graph?

Also, if I had a Force vs. Distance graph and knew my initial velocity was some value, how would I go about finding the velocity at any distance along the way?

Homework Equations


F=ma

W=Fd

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the area under the curve of a Force vs. Distance graph represents work (W=Fd). Is the slope of a Force vs. Distance graph *acceleration*?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the units.

Units of Force = Newtons
Units of distance = meters

So the slope of an F/D plot would be N/m wouldn't it?

What do you know that has N/m as its units? Does anything spring to mind?
 
N = m∙kg/s²
m = m

N/m = kg/s² = surface tension (slope of Force vs. Distance graph)

Ok thanks for helping me think. Rise over run... Units of y-axis over units of x axis. That makes sense.

For the other part of my question, I think I've got it under wraps. To find the velocity at a certain distance of a Force vs. Distance graph, I need to:

Calculate area S below the graph.
This area is work, because it is equal to
S = integral of F(x)dx = integral of d(work)

Using conservation of energy I can now find the velocity:
S = Work = KE = 1/2 mv²