What is the Slow Step in This General Chem Kinetics Reaction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0
Question 1:

Step 1: 2NO2 (g) + 2SO2 (g) = 2NO (g) + 2SO3 (g)
Step 2: 2NO (g) + O2 (g) = 2NO2 (g)
The reaction is found to be first order with respect to NO2 and SO2, what is the slow step for this reaction?

1. First step
2.Second step
3.Not possible to determine

Question 2 and 3: Look at graph.
Questions are located on the graph...

Thank you.

For Question 1: I believe that it is 3. not possible to determine.
Question 2... number 24 on graph I believe it is 8 J
question 3: I have no clue.
 
Attachments
  • Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
The reaction is found to be first order with respect to NO2 and SO2, what is the slow step for this reaction?

Does the second step involve SO2? Can it be first order with respect to SO2?

Question 2... number 24 on graph I believe it is 8 J
question 3: I have no clue.

What is the definition of activation energy?
 
Activation energy: min energy of collision required for a chem reaction...

the second step does not involve SO2... I still don't understnad it though?
 
Miike012 said:
Activation energy: min energy of collision required for a chem reaction...

That's not completely off, but it doesn't address what is really important here. It is not total energy, but amount of energy needed to start the reaction. 8J is total.

the second step does not involve SO2... I still don't understnad it though?

If it doesn't involve SO2, can it have ANY order with regards to SO2?
 
If it doesn't involve SO2... then no it can not have any order with regards to SO2...
 
If the second step would be the slow one, could it be first order with regards to SO2?
 
No... I don't believe so.. I am just not understanding how to determine the slow step.. I know your trying to tell me something but I still am not understanding how SO2 can determine if its a slow or fast step..
 
You know slow step requires presence of SO2, you also know one of the reactions doesn't involve SO2 at all. Can it be a slow step then?
 
That's the conclusion from the information given - if slow step has any order with regard to SO2, SO2 must be part of the reaction. This is not some additional rule, this is just application of logic.