What is the Smallest Coefficient of Friction Between Crutches and Ground?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 16K views
Husker70
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The person in This picture weights 170lbs. A seen from the front, each light crutch
makes and angle of 22degrees with the vertical. Half of the persons weight is
supported by the crutches. The other half is sipported by the vertical forces
of the ground on the person's feet. Assuming that the person is moving with
a constant velocity and the force exerted by the ground on the crutches acts
along the crutches, determine (a) smallest possible coefficient of friction
between crutches and ground and (b) the magnitude of the compression force
in each crutch


Homework Equations


F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I have first drew a free body diagram for one side and I get my
forces to be this.

x forces are -fk
y forces are -mg, n

I determined that each crutch has 42.5 lbs of force
I converted the 42.5 lbs to 189n

I solved the n force to be 202n by drawing a triangle and then using sin22(189)
= 70.8n. Then getting 202n using pyth. theraom.
Am I starting this correctly?
Thanks,
Kevin
 
Attachments
  • p4-51alt.gif
    p4-51alt.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,511
Physics news on Phys.org
Which force components do you plan to use for determining the coefficient of friction?
 
I used fk=uk(n)
70.8n = uk(461.8n)
uk= horizontal force/total normal force
I get uk to be .153 for part a

part b I get the compression force to be 202n from the findings before.

This seems to be correct.
Thanks,
Kevin