1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the solution of x^2=ln(x)

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me what's the solution of x^2=ln(x).

This isn't a homework question, I need to know the solution of this equation however for some of the maths that I do in my free time.

Also, I'd be interested to see how the solution is obtained.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey karpmage.

In this case there is no solution.

Consider the following argument.

If x is a real number then x >= 1 since ln(1) = 0.

However the derivative of x^2 is 2x and this is less than the derivative of ln(x) which is 1/x.

2x > 1/x for all x >= 1 and since 1^2 > ln(1) = 0, you will never have a point of intersection for the relationship x^2 = ln(x).

So as long as x is a real number, no solution exists.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

When you have a simple equation like that, you can also plot both sides and realize that the two curves can never cross.

5. Apr 2, 2013 #4
    I should've mentioned this, I'm sorry, I'm looking for a complex solution to this problem. I was already aware that there wasn't a real solution for x.

6. Apr 2, 2013 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

In which case you should define what ln x means, since the complex logarithm is multi-valued. Let's say you mean the principal value.

Let x = a + bi. Then perform the necessary operations on each side of the equation (easier when x is expressed in polar (exponential) form for the RHS), equate real and imaginary parts to get simultaneous equations. Plug that into a numerical solver and see if you get any real solutions for a and b.

7. Apr 2, 2013 #6

DrClaude

8. Apr 2, 2013 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

9. Apr 2, 2013 #8

DrClaude

Yeah, I'm getting lazy :blushing:

10. Apr 2, 2013 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Mathspeak for "lazy" is "elegant". :rofl:

11. Apr 2, 2013 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook