What is the Solution to the One-Dimensional Particle in an Energy Well Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TFM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Particle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 5K views
Sure. So phi*=phi.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
okay so:


[tex]\phi = \phi^* = Asin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

[tex]Asin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)*Asin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x) = 1[/tex]

[tex]= A^2 sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{L}x) = 1[/tex]

[tex]= A^2 = \frac{1}{sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)}[/tex]

[tex]= A = \sqrt{\frac{1}{sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)}}[/tex]

This doesn't seem right to me though...?
 
Integrate. Integrate. Integrate. I've mentioned that several times. Look up the definition of <> and normalization. You have to integrate x from 0 to L on the third line.
 
Sorry, so:

[tex]\int{\phi^* \phi}dx = 1[/tex]

so:

[tex]\int{Asin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)*Asin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)} dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2\int{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)*sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)} dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2\int{sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2[\frac{n\pi}{2L}x - \frac{n\pi}{4L}sin(\frac{2n\pi}{L}x)]^L_0 = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2[\frac{n\pi}{2L}0 - \frac{n\pi}{4L}sin(\frac{2n\pi}{L}(0)) - \frac{n\pi}{2L}(L) - \frac{n\pi}{4L}sin(\frac{2n\pi}{L}L)] = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2[(\frac{n\pi}{2}] = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2 n\pi = 2[/tex]

[tex]A^2 = \frac{2}{n\pi}[/tex]

[tex]A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{n\pi}}[/tex]

Does tgis look better?
 
Well, I get the integral to be L/2. No pi's, no n's. Better check the integration. Use sin^2(kx)=(1-cos(2kx))/2. The cos part doesn't contribute anything. It averages out. How did you get all those n*pi/L parts outside?
 
Last edited:
Okay, so:

[tex]A^2\int{sin^2(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)dx = 1[/tex]

Using:

[tex]sin^2 (kx) = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{cos(kx)}{2}[/tex]

Gives:

[tex]A^2\int{\frac{1}{2} - \frac{cos(kx)}{2}}dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2[{\frac{x}{2} - \frac{k}{2} sin(kx)}]^L_0 = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2[{\frac{L}{2} - \frac{k}{2} sin(kL)}] = 1[/tex]

[tex]k = n\pi/L[/tex]

[tex]A^2[{\frac{L}{2} - \frac{n\pi}{2} sin(n\pi)}] = 1[/tex]

sin of n*pi = 0

[tex]A^2[{\frac{L}{2}] = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2{\frac{L}{2} = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2 = {\frac{2}{L}[/tex]

gives A to be:

[tex]A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}[/tex]

Is this better now?
 
Last edited:
OKay, I have looked in the book and it does appear to be the right answer - should I have done this part in the previous section?

So: [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

Okay, so now:

[tex]\left\langle \hat{p} \right\rangle = \int\phi^*\hat{p}\phi[/tex]

since we have found that phi* = phi, I assume:

[tex]\left\langle \hat{p} \right\rangle = \int^L_0\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x) (-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)dx[/tex]

and thus:

[tex]\left\langle \hat{p} \right\rangle = \int^L_0\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x) (-i\hbar \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)dx[/tex]

and:

[tex]\left\langle \hat{p} \right\rangle = \int^L_0\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x) (-i\hbar \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\frac{n\pi}{L} cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)dx[/tex]

Rearrange:

[tex]=-\frac{2n\pi}{L^2}\int^L_0 sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)(cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

Does this look okay so far?
 
Okay, I am not sure for the p-hat one I just did, but I have done the x ones, and I have got:

[tex]<\hat{x}> = \phi^*x\phi[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0 sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)xsin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0 x sin^2 (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

using the substituion for sin^2:

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0 \frac{x}{2} x\frac{cos(2kx){2}[/tex]

using the product rule, I get:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{xksin(2kx)}{2} + \frac{x^2}{2}\frac{cos2kx}{2}][/tex]

insert values:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{L ksin(2kL)}{2} + \frac{L^2}{2}\frac{cos2kL}{2}][/tex]

insert k:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{L \frac{n\pi}{L}sin(2\frac{n\pi}{L}L)}{2} + \frac{L^2}{2}\frac{cos2\frac{n\pi}{L}L}{2}][/tex]

Cancel down:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{n\pi sin(2n\pi)}{2} + \frac{L^2}{2}\frac{cos2n\pi}{2}][/tex]

Since sin n*pi = 0, cos npi = 1:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{L^2}{2}\frac{1}{2}][/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{2L^2}{2L}\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Giving:

[tex]<\hat{x}> = \frac{L}{2}[/tex]

And, similarly for <x^2>

[tex]<\hat{x}> = \phi^*x^2\phi[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0 sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)x^2 sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0 x^2 sin^2 (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

using the substituion for sin^2:

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0 \frac{x^2}{2} x^2\frac{cos(2kx){2}[/tex]

using the product rule, I get:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{x^2ksin(2kx)}{2} - \frac{x^3}{6}\frac{cos2kx}{2}][/tex]

inserting the values for k and x:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{L^2ksin(2kL)}{2} - \frac{L^3}{6}\frac{cos2kL}{2}][/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{L^2\frac{n\pi}{L}sin(2\frac{n\pi}{L}L)}{2} - \frac{L^3}{6}\frac{cos2\frac{n\pi}{L}L}{2}][/tex]

Cancel down:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[\frac{L n\pi sin(2n\pi}{2} - \frac{L^3}{6}\frac{cos2n\pi}{2}][/tex]

Using same cos and sin rules:

[tex]\frac{2}{L}[- \frac{L^3}{6}\frac{1}{2}][/tex]

[tex]-\frac{L^2}{6}[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\Delta \hat{x} = \sqrt{<\hat{x^2}> - <\hat{x}>^2}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\Delta \hat{x} = \sqrt{<-\frac{L^2}{6}> - <{\frac{L^2}{4}}>^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta \hat{x} = \sqrt{<-\frac{L^2}{6}> - <{\frac{L^2}{4}}>^2}[/tex]

Does this look okay?
 
For <p> you've got the right general form, but I'm wondering about some of the constants (not that they'll matter in the end). <x> the answer came out ok, the stuff in between doesn't look completely ok. <x^2> CAN'T be negative. Why not? Think about it.
 
Okay,

<x^2> can't be negatvive because it is squared,;

I was writing the working out down to hand in, but I didn't use copy from my notes, and it looked slightly better, but it gave me:

<x> = L

<x^2> = 2/3 L^2

trouble is when working out the Delta:

[tex]\Delta\hat{x} = \sqrt{<\hat^2> - <\hat>^2}[/tex]

trouble is I get a negative equation under the sqare root, which I know shouldn't be...?
 
If you get a negative under the square root, then you made a mistake. I don't get <x>=L, I get <x>=L/2. <x^2> doesn't seem to come out as 2L^2/3 either. These are just integration problems now, not QM. So it doesn't take any deep thinking. You just have to do the integrations carefully.