Rock Concert vs Whisper: Intensity Factor of 22026.4

  • Thread starter Thread starter roam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Intensity Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



By what factor is the intensity of sound at a rock concert louder than that of a whisper when the two intensity levels are 120 dB and 20 dB respectively?


Homework Equations



The sound level of a sound wave in decibles is

[tex]\beta = 10 log (\frac{I}{I_0})[/tex]

Also the ratio of intensities:

[tex]\beta_B - \beta_A = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Using the latter equation:

[tex]100 = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

Solving for the ratio I get 22026.4. Now how can I determine the factor one intensity is greater than the other? I'm not quite sure... :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\beta_B - \beta_A = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Using the latter equation:

[tex]100 = 10 log (\frac{I_B}{I_A})[/tex]

Solving for the ratio I get 22026.4. Now how can I determine the factor one intensity is greater than the other? I'm not quite sure... :confused:

The equation should be

[tex]100 = 10log_{10}(\frac{I_A}{I_B})[/tex]

Or [tex]10 = log_{10}(\frac{I_A}{I_B})[/tex]

Now find the ratio of the intensities.
 
Last edited: