What is the spacing (in mm) between the slits?

• Thread starter talaroue
  • Start date
In summary: You need to find the spacing between the slits and then divide that by the wavelength of the light to get the number of bright fringes.
talaroue
1. Light from a helium-neon laser (l=650 nm) is used to illuminate two narrow slits. The interference pattern is observed on a screen 2.12 m behind the slits. Twelve bright fringes are seen, spanning a distance of 49 mm. What is the spacing (in mm) between the slits?

lamda=650x10^-9 m

L=2.12 m

Ym=49x10^-3

m= 12

d=solving for

d=mL(lamda)/Ym= .03375 mm

why doesn't that work?

2. A 0.24-mm-diameter hole is illuminated by light of wavelength 476 nm. What is the width (in mm) of the central maximum on a screen 1.5 m behind the slit

How do I do this since it has a diameter, I can't find it in the book anywhere

3. A 578 line/mm diffraction grating is illuminated by light of wavelength 599 nm. How many bright fringes are seen on a 2.73-m-wide screen located 3 m behind the grating

d=1/(578x 10^-3)

lamda=599x10^-9

Ym=2.73 m

L=3 m

m=Ym*d/(lamda*L)

All these ways of solving them doesn't work why is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
talaroue said:
Hello Professor I have a few questions that I can't understand...

1. Light from a helium-neon laser (l=650 nm) is used to illuminate two narrow slits. The interference pattern is observed on a screen 2.12 m behind the slits. Twelve bright fringes are seen, spanning a distance of 49 mm. What is the spacing (in mm) between the slits?

lamda=650x10^-9 m d=mL(lamda)/Ym= .03375 mm
Please, please, please put different equation on separate lines in the future. It is very difficult to read the way you wrote this.

L=2.12 m

Ym=49x10^-3

m= 12
Think about m more carefully:
If there one bright fringe, that would be m=0.
Two bright fringes would be m=0 and 1.
Three bright fringes would be 0, 1, and 2.
Twelve bright fringes have m = 0 through ___ ?

d=solving for

why doesn't that work?
Retry with a different value of m

2. A 0.24-mm-diameter hole is illuminated by light of wavelength 476 nm. What is the width (in mm) of the central maximum on a screen 1.5 m behind the slit

How do I do this since it has a diameter, I can't find it in the book anywhere
Weird, it should be in your book or class notes. This is often referred to as a circular aperture.
Here is more info:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/phyopt/cirapp2.html#c2
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=192

3. A 578 line/mm diffraction grating is illuminated by light of wavelength 599 nm. How many bright fringes are seen on a 2.73-m-wide screen located 3 m behind the grating

d=1/(578x 10^-3) m=Ym*d/(lamda*L)
d is incorrect here. Think about that one more carefully.

lamda=599x10^-9

Ym=2.73 m

L=3 m

All these ways of solving them doesn't work why is that?

Sorry about the equation problem I copied it from an email I had sent and it didn't excatly work as planned.

1. m=0 with 12 bright fringes m=11 correct?

2.I'll look at the sights you gave me and if I have anymore problems I will post on here, thank you

3.I divde the d in half correct? I found an example, but I just don't understand why?

talaroue said:
Sorry about the equation problem I copied it from an email I had sent and it didn't excatly work as planned.
Okay. You can edit your post soon after posting it, so you can always check after you post and fix stuff like that ... next time.

1. m=0 with 12 bright fringes m=11 correct?
Yes.

2.I'll look at the sights you gave me and if I have anymore problems I will post on here, thank you
Okay.

3.I divde the d in half correct? I found an example, but I just don't understand why?
Uh, not quite.

578 lines/mm, so d is (1/578) mm = ____ m?

I did edit it, thank you for telling me I could.

1. I got it now I just rushed things

2. y=L*m*lamda/d

where d is the diameter, L is the distance behind, lamda is the wavelength (obviously), m is bright fringes. How do I discover how many bright fringes there are there so I can do this I assumed one, but this is wrong. Oh also Y is the width because it is the displacement on the Y axis.

3. 1.73 m?

talaroue said:
3. 1.73 m?

No. Since a mm is 10-3 m,

(1/578) mm = (1/578) x 10-3 m​

Notice the answer is a lot smaller than a meter, because both (1/578) and 10-3 are small numbers.

Oh what I was doing was 1/(578x10^-3)

2. Can you offer so more advice please

3. so doing it the correct way with
d = 1/578 x 10^-3 m
Ym=2.12 m
lamda= 599x 10^-9 m
L= 3 m

all units cancel leaving basically bright fringes, plug and chug using the equation m=(Ym*d)/(lamda*L)

talaroue said:
2. y=L*m*lamda/d

where d is the diameter, L is the distance behind, lamda is the wavelength (obviously), m is bright fringes. How do I discover how many bright fringes there are there so I can do this I assumed one, but this is wrong. Oh also Y is the width because it is the displacement on the Y axis.

Correct except for the following:

1. y is the radius of the diffraction pattern on the screen.
2. m is a number you can get from the "m values" table at

A hint: the diameter of the central bright fringe is really the diameter of the 1st minimum in the diffraction pattern.

talaroue said:
2. Can you offer so more advice please

3. so doing it the correct way with
d = 1/578 x 10^-3 m
Ym=2.12 m
lamda= 599x 10^-9 m
L= 3 m

all units cancel leaving basically bright fringes, plug and chug using the equation m=(Ym*d)/(lamda*L)

I agree with the values for d, lambda, and L. But where does Ym=2.12 m come from?

Redbelly98 said:
Please, please, please put different equation on separate lines in the future. It is very difficult to read the way you wrote this.Think about m more carefully:
If there one bright fringe, that would be m=0.
Two bright fringes would be m=0 and 1.
Three bright fringes would be 0, 1, and 2.
Twelve bright fringes have m = 0 through ___ ?
Is it not true that in the double slit experiment, when m = 1, there will be two fringes on either side of the central bright fringe? Is it possible to get even number of fringes in the double slit experiment?

If the screen is off-center, there can be an even number of fringes appearing on it.

Redbelly98 said:
If the screen is off-center, there can be an even number of fringes appearing on it.
In such experiment usually the screen is placed perpendicular to the axis of the slits. In such case what is the position of the screen which is off -center? In this position is there no central maximum?

(Problem #1)

The central maximum will be the bright fringe directly in front of the slits, no matter what the screen position is.

I am (for now) going on the assumption that the problem was correctly copied when posted here.

For the small angles being considered, it does not matter whether the screen contains the m=0 through m=11 fringes, or the m=-5 through m=6 fringes. As long as 12 fringes close to the central maximum are visible, the small-angle approximation holds and the answer will be the same.

1. What is the purpose of having spacing between the slits?

The spacing between slits is an important factor in many scientific experiments, specifically those involving light and optics. It allows for the phenomenon of interference to occur, which is essential in understanding the behavior of light.

2. How does the spacing between slits affect the interference pattern?

The spacing between slits directly affects the interference pattern, as it determines the path length difference between the light passing through each slit. This path length difference is crucial in determining the intensity and position of the interference fringes.

3. Is there an ideal spacing between slits for optimal interference?

There is no single ideal spacing between slits, as it depends on the specific experiment and the wavelength of light being used. In general, the spacing should be on the same order of magnitude as the wavelength of light to produce clear interference patterns.

4. Can the spacing between slits be adjusted in an experiment?

Yes, the spacing between slits can be adjusted in many experiments by using movable slits or by changing the distance between the slits. This allows for the manipulation of the interference pattern and can provide valuable insights into the nature of light.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the spacing between slits?

In addition to the physical distance between slits, other factors such as the angle of incidence and the properties of the light source can also affect the spacing between slits and the resulting interference pattern. These factors must be carefully controlled in order to obtain accurate and consistent results.