What is the speed of the water exiting the nozzle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 14K views
mparsons06
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement :

Water flows through a fire hose of diameter 7.15 cm at a rate of 0.019 m3/s. The fire hose ends in a nozzle of inner diameter 2.17 cm. What is the speed with which the water exits the nozzle?2. The attempt at a solution:

So, I tried using Principle of Continuity:

A1 * v1 = A2 * v2

A = pi * d^2 / 4

A1 = 0.00402 m
A2 = 0.00037 m

A1 * v1 = A2 * v2
(0.00402 m) * (0.019 m^3/s) = (0.00037 m) * v2
0.0000764 m^4/s = (0.00037 m) * v2
v2 = (0.0000764 m^4/s) / (0.00037 m)
v2 = 0.206 m^3/s

But my answer is incorrect. Do I need to apply another equation? Or did I mess up somewhere? Please help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mparsons06 said:
1. Homework Statement :

Water flows through a fire hose of diameter 7.15 cm at a rate of 0.019 m3/s. The fire hose ends in a nozzle of inner diameter 2.17 cm. What is the speed with which the water exits the nozzle?

But my answer is incorrect. Do I need to apply another equation? Or did I mess up somewhere? Please help.

Assuming you typed the question properly, then 0.019 m3/s i not the velocity of the water entering the nozzle.
 
rock.freak667 said:
Assuming you typed the question properly, then 0.019 m3/s is not the velocity of the water entering the nozzle.

So are you saying 0.019 m3/s is not my v1, but my v2? I'm confused.
 
mparsons06 said:
So are you saying 0.019 m3/s is not my v1, but my v2? I'm confused.

Think about it. Are those the units you would expect a velocity term to have?
 
It would be m/s correct? But are my numbers correct? Or are my formulas wrong?
 
mparsons06 said:
It would be m/s correct? But are my numbers correct? Or are my formulas wrong?

Your equations are correct. What does the principal of continuity state should be continuous?
 
It states that pressure is constant. But I'm still confused?
 
mparsons06 said:
It states that pressure is constant. But I'm still confused?

That's not what the principle states. What physical quantity does A*v describe? (Look at the units)
 
A*v describes the volume rate of low (m^3/s)... Right?
 
mparsons06 said:
A*v describes the volume rate of low (m^3/s)... Right?

Exactly, so the principle states that the volume flow rate is constant at any point.

Use that fact to answer the question.
 
mparsons06 said:
So is v1 = v2 = 0.019 m^3/s?

Nope. You just realized that A*v (not v) is 0.019 m^3/s. Since this quantity must be conserved how would you find v2?
 
A*v = 0.019 m^3/s
v = (0.019 m^3/s) / A = (0.019 m^3/s) / (3.14*(0.0217m)^2) = 12.9 m/s

Is that correct?
 
mparsons06 said:
A*v = 0.019 m^3/s
v = (0.019 m^3/s) / A = (0.019 m^3/s) / (3.14*(0.0217m)^2) = 12.9 m/s

Is that correct?

Yes.
 
mparsons06 said:
It is wrong. I have no idea why. Ughhhh.

Hmm that's odd. Are you sure you wrote the problem down correctly? Also, though I'm not sure whether this matters, but I'm getting 12.8 m/s rather than 12.9.
 
Yes, I wrote it down right. I will 12.8, but I'm not sure if it'll make a difference. But anyways, thank you for all of your help. =) I really appreciate it.
 
Ah I see what is wrong. The question gives you diameter not radius. Divide by 2 before finding the area.
 
Well no, but you didn't divide by 4 when you used the diameter.
 
So if I fix the equation and recalculate:

v = (0.019 m^3/s) / A = (0.019 m^3/s) / (3.14*(0.0217m)^2 / 4) = 51.4

Is the units m/s or m3/s?
 
mparsons06 said:
So if I fix the equation and recalculate:

v = (0.019 m^3/s) / A = (0.019 m^3/s) / (3.14*(0.0217m)^2 / 4) = 51.4

Is the units m/s or m3/s?

Still m/s, we just threw in a number that won't affect anything.
 
It is correct. Once again, thank you for spending the time to help me with this. I appreciate it tremendously.
 
mparsons06 said:
It is correct. Once again, thank you for spending the time to help me with this. I appreciate it tremendously.

Yeah no problem, good job.