What is the Standard State of Carbon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PVnRT81
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Standard State
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
PVnRT81
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Graphite can be change into diamond according to the following equation:

Cgraphite ==> Cdiamond

Consider the following reaction equations:

Cgraphite + O2 (g) ==> CO2 (g) ΔH = -393.5 kJ/mol

Cdiamond + O2 (g) ==> CO2 (g) ΔH = -393.4 kJ/mol

Which form of carbon - graphite or carbon - is considered the standard state of carbon?

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use Hess' Law of Summation and determined that to go from graphite to diamond, it takes -0.1 kJ/mol.

To go from diamond to graphite, it takes 0.1 kJ/mol.

I don't know how I can use this information to determine the standard state.
 
Physics news on Phys.org