What is the sum of infinite number of zeros?

In summary: In that sense, infinity is kind of like the horizon. You can keep going towards it but you'll never actually reach it. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity and its application in mathematical equations, particularly in limits and infinite sums. It is clarified that infinity cannot be substituted as a number and should only be used to represent the idea of approaching something without ever reaching it. The conversation also touches on the importance of rigor in mathematical development and the need to properly cite theorems in order to get the desired result.
athosanian
dear all, let's consider a length L and divide it into N number of small segments uniformly. Then the length of every segment should be L/N.
then we add these segments up, which is
L=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{L}{N}[/itex]
then we take the limit N→[itex]\infty[/itex] at both sides, this means
[itex]lim_{N\rightarrow\infty}[/itex]L=[itex]lim_{N\rightarrow\infty}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{L}{N}[/itex]

the left hand is still L, and right hand will become, at the limit, [itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{infinite}[/itex]

therefore, the sum of infinite number of zeros will lead to a finite number ? This is my question. I hope someone could give some idea. Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is that you are trying to use infinity as a number (so that you can get n/infinity = 0) and it isn't working out for you, which really is just what you should expect. In other words, you're mixing apples and oranges and going bananas. :smile:

Likes 2 people
So I can not substitute the infinity into the L/N, right ?

No, you can't. Keep in mind what ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n## means. It is the limit (if it exists) of the partial sums as the number of terms gets ever larger. Mathematically, ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \equiv \lim_{N\to\infty} S_N## where ##S_N =\sum_{n=1}^N a_n##.

If all ##a_n## are zero then each partial sum is zero, so the limit is zero.

Likes 1 person
ok, I know that I can not substitute the [itex]\infty[/itex] into L/N when N->∞, but I still feel it is natural to think the sum [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{N}[/itex][itex]\frac{L}{N}[/itex] as a addition of infinite zeros, when N-> ∞.
In fact I encounter the similar situation in the calculus. The integration of f(x) on the domain (a, b) is defined as
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{a}_{b}[/itex] f(x)dx=lim[itex]_{N->\infty}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{i=1}[/itex] f(x[itex]_{i}[/itex])dx[itex]_{i}[/itex], (1)
where N is the divisions of the domain (a, b).
The same situation as before, because when N->∞, dx[itex]_{i}[/itex]-> 0, I think it is very natural to think the right hand of equ. (1) as a sum of infinite zeros, namely, [itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{infinite}[/itex]

You are welcome to think of it that way, if it helps. But don't expect the usual laws of arithmetic to help.

hello, friends, thank you very much for the help. at last I figure it in this way,
the integration [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{a}_{b}[/itex] f(x)dx can be viewed as summation of infinite zeros [itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{infinite}[/itex].
But the form [itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{infinite}[/itex] is indetermined. the result of the sum depends on how to interpret it in the limits. If i define it in this way,
[itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{infinite}[/itex]=lim[itex]_{N->\infty}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{n=1}[/itex]0, then the sum is 0. just like other indetermined form [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex], 0/0.

No, it is NOT a summation of zeros. As Halls said (more gently), you can think of it that way if you really feel the need to, but that won't make it right. You are still defining n/infinity as a number (zero in your particular arbitrary case) but your thinking of it that way does not MAKE it that way. Also, your statement that indeterminate forms are equivalent to zero is absolutely incorrect and in fact it is inherently a contradiction in terms. How can it be BOTH indeterminate AND determined as zero? Doesn't make sense.

Likes 1 person
Infinity is a tricky concept. There are a lot of theorems that say that you can substitute ##\infty## in an equation and get the right answer ##0##. It is something that is done all the time.

However, there are also many counterexamples to this procedure. Most of these involve exchanging limit and sum or infinite sums.

The moral of the story is that a naive substituting of infinity is not always allowed and that a rigorous development of mathematics is necessary. So you need to have rigorous theorems that you have to cite in order to get the result that you want.

Likes 1 person
yes, infinity is really a difficult concept. when I consider the definition of the integration,
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{a}_{b}[/itex] f(x)dx=lim[itex]_{N->\infty}[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{i=1}[/itex]f(x[itex]_{i}[/itex])dx[itex]_{i}[/itex] (1),
I use the [itex]\infty[/itex] as the number and substitute it into the left side of the equ. (1).
and leads to,
lim[itex]_{N->\infty}[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{i=1}[/itex]f(x[itex]_{i}[/itex])dx[itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{\infty}[/itex] (2)
the expression [itex]\underbrace{0+0+0+...}_{\infty}[/itex] is meaningless and indetermined. To avoid such a trouble I should keep this expression out of the mind and stop using the ∞ as a number and remember that, as D H said, lim[itex]_{N->\infty}[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{i=1}[/itex]f(x[itex]_{i}[/itex])dx[itex]_{i}[/itex] is the limit (if it exists) of the partial sums as the number of terms gets ever larger.
Thank you very much for your discussions !

Thanks, friend. the infinity can be approached, but never be reached.

athosanian said:

Yep ... much like being pure in thought and deed :smile:

athosanian said:

Well, to be fair, infinity can be reached. That is, there are certain mathematical theories that says what happens if you actually have infinity, instead of simply approaching it. However, limits are not part of this theory. Limits only give information about what happens if you approach infinity.

1. What does it mean for a number to be infinite?

Infinity is a concept used to represent something that has no end or is limitless. It is not a specific number, but rather a concept that is used in various mathematical and scientific theories.

2. Can we really add an infinite number of zeros together?

No, it is not possible to add an infinite number of zeros together as it would result in an infinitely large number which is not a real number. This concept is used in theoretical mathematics and is not applicable in real-world scenarios.

3. What is the value of an infinite sum of zeros?

The value of an infinite sum of zeros is undefined as it is not a real number. It is a theoretical concept used in mathematics to understand the concept of infinity and its properties.

4. Can we use the concept of infinite sum of zeros in practical applications?

No, the concept of infinite sum of zeros is not used in practical applications as it does not have any real-world value. It is a theoretical concept used to understand the properties of infinity in mathematics.

5. Is the sum of infinite number of zeros equal to zero?

No, the sum of an infinite number of zeros is not equal to zero as it is not a real number. It is a theoretical concept used in mathematics to understand the concept of infinity and its properties.