What is the Surface of Revolution with Constant Curvature +1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mooshasta
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find a surface of revolution with Gauss curvature K of +1 at all points, which doesn't lie in a sphere.


Homework Equations



The surface is parametrized as [itex]\psi (t, \theta ) = ( x(t), y(t) cos \theta , y(t) sin \theta )[/itex]

I have the equation
[tex] K = \frac{x' (x'' y' - x' y'')}{y(x'^2 + y'^2)^2}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I am thinking it has to do with the curve [itex]\alpha (t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex] not having unit speed, but I am kind of stuck as to where to go from there.


Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there one? The only way out I can think of is to make it disconnected. A surface of constant guassian curvature is locally isometric to a sphere.
 
I know that for a unit-speed [itex]\alpha (t)[/itex], the equation reduces to [itex]K = \frac{-y''}{y}[/itex], which does clearly represent a sphere.

The way the question is worded on my homework seems to point to the fact that that reduction only applies to unit-speed curves, which is why I think that perhaps an [itex]\alpha (t)[/itex] that doesn't have unit-speed perhaps can give a surface of revolution with constant curvature +1 that isn't a sphere... but maybe there's another "gimmick" that I'm overlooking...

Anyways, thanks for your help!