1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of Surface of Revolution of Plane Curve - Use 1/2 Interval?

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve

2. Relevant equations
    x = 5(cos3t), y = 5(sin3t), 0 ≤ t ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex], about the y axis.

3. The attempt at a solution
    x' = -15(cos2t)(sin t)
    y' = 15(sin2t)(cos t)

(I think this forms the top part of an astroid)

[x'(t)]2 = 225(cos4t)(sin2t)
    [y'(t)]2 = 225(sin4t)(cos2t)

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t) sqrt[225(cos4t)(sin2t) + 225(sin4t)(cos2t)] dt

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t) sqrt[225(cos2t)(sin2t)*(cos2t + sin2t)] dt

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t) sqrt[225(cos2t)(sin2t)(1)] dt

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t)*15(cos t)(sin t) dt

S = 150[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) (cos4t)(sin t) dt

S = -150[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) (cos4t)(-sin t) dt

S = -150[itex]\pi[/itex] [(cos5t) / 5] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2

S = -150[itex]\pi[/itex] (0 - 1/5)

S = 30[itex]\pi[/itex] units2

Please excuse my formatting. My basic question is, was I correct to take the integral only from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2, even though the interval given for the plane curve is from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]?

My secondary question is, do you see anything else I messed up?

Thank you much.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    Follow-up: The instructor admitted that this question was not valid, because the curve does not lie entirely on one side of the axis of revolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook