1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a form ##z=f(r)## to be a surface of revolution

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that a surface has an equation in cylindrical coordinates of the form ##z=f(r)##. Explain why it must be a surface of revolution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I consider ##z=f(r)## in terms of spherical coordinates.

## p cosφ = f \sqrt{(p sinφcosθ)^2 + (p sinφsinθ)^2} ##

## p cosφ= f\sqrt{(p sinφ)^2} ##

## p cosφ=f(p sinφ)##

##cosφ= f (sinφ)##

##∴φ= \cos^{-1} f(sinφ)##

Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, it describes a surface of revolution about the ##z## axis.

Is my prove right or acceptable?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are using spherical, not cylindreical coordinates. Also: in LaTeX, put a "\" before sin, cos, etc. Without it, the results are ugly and hard to read, like ##sin \phi cos \theta##; with it, they look good, as in ##\sin \phi \cos \theta##.

4. Sep 17, 2016 #3
    Okay! Thanks for the advice! Just started using it, so sorry for the ugly text. I don't have any idea of starting the proof using cylindrical coordinates, that's why I converted it to spherical ones. But I will give it a try now.

The cylindrical coordinates are in the form ##(r,\theta, z)##. I assume that ##r \geq 0##
    So ##r= \sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)}##

and ##z=f(\sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)})##, which gives a unique value. These gives a set of points that form a line in ##3D## space.

Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, line is the same for any value of ##\theta##. These similar set of lines form a surface of revolution.

Is it right in any way at all? I'm guessing here.

5. Sep 17, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why introduce spherical coordinates, which have nothing to do with this question?
    If you have a surface of revolution revolved about the ##z## axis, that would mean ##z(r,\theta_1) = z(r,\theta_2)## for any ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## wouldn't it? Is that true in your case?

6. Sep 17, 2016 #5
    Yes. So, is what I'm saying above right? But I'm not sure if having a unique set of points will form a line, though.
    It depends on ##f##, right?

7. Sep 17, 2016 #6
    Oh, I think I see now why ##z=f(r)## represents a surface of revolution. Using the explanation on ##zr## planes given by @LCKurtz , each value of ##r## gives a value of ##z##, and the set of values of ##r## gives its respective values of ##z##. Since equation is independent of ##\theta##, these set of points are the same for all values of ##\theta##, and this is the reason why it forms a surface of revolution.

Am I right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted